|NOVA SCOTIA LEGAL AID COMMISSION|
Available Position: 7 Month Contract (Covering a Leave)
Location: 402-5475 Spring Garden Road
Salary: Staff Lawyer Pay Plan Policy- Based on Relevant Experience
Closing Date: Friday, October 16, 2020 at 4:30 PM
Who we are:
Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission (NSLAC) delivers legal aid services throughout the Province, providing some level of help to all Nova Scotians with a focus on assisting those who are vulnerable and historically disadvantaged. NSLAC’s focus is in the practice areas of criminal, family and social justice law.
NSLAC employs Staff Lawyers in 23 offices throughout the Province. Staff Lawyers help thousands of clients every year and spend a majority of their time in court. They are committed to helping overcome historical barriers to access to justice. Staff Lawyers have litigated many important cases to protect the rights of individuals.
The Staff Lawyer provides advice and will deal with the day-to-day legal representation of clients who come before the court and are unrepresented by legal counsel in criminal matters. The successful candidate will be handling Cells or Non-Custodial Duty Counsel matters and will be responsible to provide legal services in Halifax Provincial Court or Dartmouth Provincial Court. They will be expected to fulfill those obligations remotely (from home), in the office or at Court depending on the circumstances, and COVID-19 protocols, during the term of their employment.
Ideal Abilities and Skills:
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience of relevant criminal law.
• Ability to manage a high caseload.
• Be able to work with clients who have complex needs, creatively problem solves and works independently in a fast-paced environment as well as part of a team.
• Must be skilled in negotiation, debate and persuasion techniques.
• Compliance with NSLAC’s policies and procedures.
• Training or advocacy experience in relation to mental health issues.
• Demonstrated time management and ability to deal with conflicting priorities and deadlines.
• Ability to investigate facts, identify issues, ascertain organizational objectives, consider alternative solutions, analyze risk and advise clients.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively.
• Ability to communicate in French and English is an asset.
• Demonstrated ability to use latest communication technologies including Smartphones.
• Experience and proficiency with computer software packages including legal research applications, MS Word and Outlook or equivalents.
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
• Bachelor of Laws (LLB) or Juris Doctor (JD) Degree.
• Practicing member in good standing of the Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society (and/or any other provincial law society).
Our goal is to be a diverse and accessible workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. We encourage qualified individuals from historically disadvantaged groups, including Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons, persons with disabilities, retirees and women in positions where they are underrepresented. Applicants from these groups wishing to self-identify may do so on their cover letter or resume.
If you are talented, hardworking and want to be a member of a team that is highly experienced, very caring, dedicated and committed to their clients, we would like to hear from you.
Please indicate the position title and in the email subject line. Please send your resume and cover letter to NSLA-Careers@nslegalaid.ca
While we appreciate receiving all applications, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications will be held in strict confidence.
|Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 10/16/2020|