Transferring from another Canadian Province

A member of a Canadian law society who holds a degree in Common law from a Canadian university (or equivalent as certified by the National Committee on Accreditation) may apply for transfer to the Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society.

These applicants either qualify for admission on transfer under the National Mobility Agreement (NMA) or Territorial Mobility Agreement (TMA) and Regulation 6.2.2, or do not qualify under the NMA or TMA and Regulation 6.2.2.

Applicants who Qualify for Admission on Transfer under the NMA or TMA

These applicants must meet the criteria for transfer under the NMA or TMA and the Society’s Regulations. In summary, the applicant must be a practising and insured member of the home jurisdiction and be in good standing (for example, the applicant cannot have a discipline record, open complaint, practice restriction, etc.).

The onus is on the applicant to ensure they qualify under the NMA or TMA. While the Society will make this determination, an applicant can confirm this by contacting their law society.

Applicants must complete an Application for Admission on Transfer and provide all referenced documentation and fees. An application must be submitted to the Barristers’ Society at least six weeks prior to the anticipated Bar Admission date. Bar Admission dates are posted on the Society’s website. In order to be considered, an application must be complete – all supporting materials received and application fee paid.

Please note that we do not require a paper copy of your application. E-mail your scanned application to the Society’s Education & Credentials Advisor at

Please allow 2 business days after submitting your application before contacting us to process the application fee.

    We strive to process complete applications with no public interest issues within two weeks. Timelines may be extended during periods of high application volume, particularly from April 1 to July 15. See Policy on Timelines. Applications with character or fitness issues must be referred to the Credentials Committee.

    Transfer applicants must review the Nova Scotia Bar Review Materials and sign an affidavit to this effect. Your affidavit must be submitted two weeks prior to your call date. (Under Regulation 6.3.6)

    Applicants who qualify under the NMA or TMA are not required to complete the Bar Admission Program although other conditions may apply. Generally, applicants who do not qualify under the NMA or TMA must, at a minimum, successfully complete the Bar Admission Program. For applicants with little practice experience or who have been absent from active practice in Canada for some time, other conditions may be imposed, such as a period of supervision. Review the Policy on Applications for Transfer from Another Canadian Jurisdiction.

    The Society provides an admission information package to each applicant for admission.

    Note: A transfer applicant cannot practise law in Nova Scotia until the applicant is called to the Bar in Nova Scotia or has been granted a special permit pending the applicant’s call to the Nova Scotia Bar, pursuant to Regulation 6.3.4(b).

    To be granted a permit, the applicant must qualify under the NMA or TMA, have a confirmed job offer in Nova Scotia, and have submitted a Transfer Application. The Society must also have received a Certificate of Standing from the applicant’s home jurisdiction. The permit application is included in the Application for Admission on Transfer.

    Transfers from Quebec – Canadian Legal Advisors (CLAs)

    Québec lawyers may qualify to practise in Nova Scotia as Canadian Legal Advisors (CLAs) under the following conditions:

    • must be a member in good standing of the Barreau du Québec;
    • must be authorized to practise law in Québec;
    • must maintain the full, mandatory, professional liability insurance coverage required by the Barreau that extends to  practice in Nova Scotia;
    • must have earned a bachelor’s degree in civil law in Canada or a foreign degree and a certificate of equivalency from the Barreau.

    Please note: The scope of a CLA’s practice is limited to giving legal advice on the law of Québec and matters involving the law of Québec, matters under federal jurisdiction and matters involving public international law. 

    You must complete the Application for Admission as a Canadian Legal Advisor to be considered for admission.

    To learn more, please review the Policy on Canadian Legal Advisors.


    Please review the Guide for New Lawyers. Email Education & Credentials at if you have any questions.