To become a lawyer in Nova Scotia, you must obtain a law degree and fulfil the educational and training requirements for admission to a law society. 

Male Lawyer at Bar Ceremony

Transferring from another Canadian Province

A member of a Canadian law society who holds a degree in Common law from a Canadian university (or equivalent) may apply for transfer to the NSBS. This page includes information for Québec lawyers who may qualify to practise in Nova Scotia as Canadian Legal Advisors (CLAs).

Learn More Transferring from another Canadian Province

Temporary Practice in NS

Find the applications for a temporary practice permit and the application for permit to act as a Foreign Legal Consultant.

Learn More Temporary Practice in NS

Applying with a foreign law degree

If you have any questions regarding the transfer process, please contact [email protected]

Learn More Applying with a foreign law degree

Mobility FAQs

Review frequently asked questions related to mobility. This is an overview and is intended as a guide only.

Learn More Mobility FAQs

Policies & Procedures

Timelines for document submission and application processing.

Learn More Policies & Procedures