Council reviews and approves the Society’s budget, including the fee schedule, for the following year at its April meeting.
Fee Deferral options
Deferral options are available to support members dealing with the uncertainty and challenges as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. Learn more.
2020-2021 Society Membership Fees
- Practising: $2,480 (no change from 2018-19).
- Non-Practising: $300 + HST (no change from 2018-19)
- Retired members: $50 + HST (no change from 2018-19)
- The full cost of insurance is $2,462 but a credit of $343 reduces the net amount to $2,119 for lawyers in private practice.
- $1,060 for lawyers practising with the Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission and Dalhousie Legal Aid Service, and $350 for lawyers employed in the civil service of the Province of Nova Scotia.
Paying your Membership Fees
Members have the option of paying their yearly membership fees through monthly installments or in one yearly lump sum payment.
The due date for those paying the full balance has been extended to September 30, 2020 in order to support members dealing with the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Pre-Authorized Payment (PAP): Members must complete the Pre-Authorized Payment (PAP) form to pay their membership fees through Lawyers already set up on PAP do not need to reapply.
- Through your online banking using the bill payments function. Search for Nova Scotia Barristers Society, then use your membership number as the account number.
- Online through your Member Portal: If you are having difficulty accessing your portal for payment, please contact the Society’s reception at 902-422-1491.
- Via cheque or EFT. Cheques must be received at the Society’s office by the due date.
Credit card payments and monthly pre-approved payments are subject to an administrative fee of $80 plus HST ($60 to NSBS; $20 to LIANS). The administrative fee for payment through monthly installments is being waived for 2020/21.
2020-2021 Monthly Payment Installment Dates
- Deferral Option: In response to the Covid-19 pandemic, members paying 2020/21 fees through PAP may now elect to defer all payments until September 20th, and we will prorate the year’s total amount over the remaining 9 months, payable on the 20th of each month.
- For example: A member paying NSBS fees of $2,480, full LIANS Levy of $2,119 plus HST for a total of $5,288.85, will pay nine monthly installments of $587.65 from September 2020 to May 2021.
- You must contact us if you wish to defer your PAP payments. If you do not contact us, you will remain on the current PAP schedule, commencing June. Please contact Kate Shewan at email@example.com to defer your fees & LIANS levy.
- Regular Monthly installment dates: If you do not elect to take the deferral option the following standard payment dates will apply:
First payment: June 20, 2020, covering two months Fees + HST. The total for NSBS fees is $475.33. For members paying the full LIANS insurance levy this first draw includes an additional $406.14 for a total of $881.47
Additional monthly payments: Drawn on the 20th of each month with last payment on April 20, 2020 (no payment during May 2020). The monthly amount for NSBS fees is $237.67. For members paying the full LIANS insurance levy there is an additional $203.07 for a total of $440.74.
We know this is a difficult time and we are aware of the impact of COVID-19 on your practices.
If you feel that you cannot pay your fees right now, please contact our Director of Finance, Kate Shewan at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss what options may be available to you.
We will do what we can to support you through this period of financial uncertainty
Fees Paid by your Employer
It is your responsibility to ensure your fees are paid. If you have an agreement with an employer or other third party to pay your fees on your behalf, then you are responsible to ensure this happens.
If you change employment during the fee deferral period and the employer has not yet paid, it is your responsibility to address this with your prior employer. It is not the Society’s responsibility to collect fees from a previous employer
For questions related to billing, please contact the Society’s Accounting Administrator at email@example.com.
All other fee-related inquiries, contact Kate Shewan, Director, Finance & Administration, at firstname.lastname@example.org.