2019-2020 Society Membership Fees
- Practicing: $2,480 (2018-19 $2,477).
- Non-Practicing: $300 + HST (no change from 2018-19)
- Retired members: $50 + HST (no change from 2018-19)
- The full cost of insurance is $2,204 but a credit of $209 reduces the net amount to $1,995 for lawyers in private practice.
- $998 for lawyers practising with the Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission and Dalhousie Legal Aid Service, and $350 for lawyers employed in the civil service of the Province of Nova Scotia.
Paying your Membership Fees
Members have the option of paying their yearly membership fees through monthly installments or in one yearly lump sum payment.
- Pre-Authorized Payment (PAP): Members must complete the Pre-Authorized Payment (PAP) form to pay their membership fees through Lawyers already set up on PAP do not need to reapply.
- Online through your Member Portal: If you are having difficulty accessing your portal for payment, please contact the Society’s reception at 902-422-1491.
- Via cheque. Cheques must be received at the NSBS office by the due date.
Credit card payments and monthly pre-approved payments are subject to an administrative fee of $80 plus HST ($60 to NSBS; $20 to LIANS).
2019-2020 Monthly Payment Installment Dates
- First payment: June 20, 2019 – this is for two months and includes an administrative charge for a total $544.33. Members paying the full LIANS insurance levy: This first draw includes an additional $405.38 for a total of $949.71.
- Additional monthly payments: Drawn on the 20th of each month of ($237.67) with last payment on April 20, 2020 (no payment during May 2020). Members paying the full LIANS insurance levy: Includes an additional $191.19 for a total of $428.86.
Please note that members who fail to pay their fee by the June 30 deadline are suspended and must pay a $250.00+HST reinstatement fee before resuming practise.
How your fees are used: Snapshot of the 2019-20 Budget
- The Society’s 2019-20 budget reflects our continued focus on meeting our regulatory objectives and a “Triple-P” (proactive, principled and proportionate) approach to legal services support and regulation.
- The 2019-20 budget includes resources to help enhance knowledge and build expertise within the Society. We will be working on a number of initiatives focused on investing in technology, people and resources, and the priorities in our strategic plan.
This one-page summary is a snapshot of the Society’s fee history over the past few years.
New Fees effective July 1, 2019:
- $100 + HST to submit an application to change a membership category from practising to non-practising, retired or resigned under regulation 4.2.6. Found under Other Fees (i) in the Schedule A.
- $150.00 + HST for the Society’s assistance in closing a trust account under subregulation 4.10.7. This fee helps offset the costs associated with the significant Society staff time that may be spent closing a trust account. Found under Other Fees (j) in the Schedule A.
- $100 + HST late filing/waiver request fee under subregulation 4.4.4 and 4.4.4. Found under Other Fees (n) in the Schedule A.
Council reviews and approves the Society’s budget, including the fee schedule, for the following year at its April meeting.
NSBS Expense Form
For questions related to billing, please contact the Society’s Accounting Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All other fee-related inquiries, contact Kate Shewan, Director, Finance & Administration, at email@example.com.