Council reviews and approves the Society’s budget, including the fee schedule, for the following year at its April meeting.
2023-2024 Society Membership Fees
- Practising: $2,436 + HST
- Non-Practising: $300 + HST
- Retired members: $50 + HST
- The full cost of insurance is $2,481 but a credit of $661 reduces the net amount to $1820 + HST for lawyers in private practice, (a reduction of $118 from last year)
- $1489 for lawyers practising with the Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission and Dalhousie Legal Aid Service, and $350 for lawyers employed in the civil service of the Province of Nova Scotia.
Paying your Membership Fees
Members have the option of paying their yearly membership fees through monthly installments or in one yearly lump sum payment.
We strongly encourage the payment of fees electronically or via pre-authorized monthly payments.
Preferred payment options:
- Pre-Authorized Payment (PAP): Members must complete the Pre-Authorized Payment (PAP) form to pay their membership fees through Lawyers already set up on PAP do not need to reapply.
- Through your online banking using the bill payments function. Search for Nova Scotia Barristers Society, then use your membership number (no spaces or dashes) as the account number.
- Via EFT, account details are on the invoice.
Other payment options (where options listed above are not possible):
- Via Cheque – cheques must be received at the Society’s office by the due date.
- Via Credit Card, Non-practising or Retired fees may be paid online via the Member Portal. If you need to pay Practising Fees via Credit Card please contact the Society for processing (administrative fees apply).
Credit card payments and monthly pre-approved payments are subject to an administrative fee of $80 plus HST ($60 to NSBS; $20 to LIANS).
Invoices are emailed to members or firms, copies are available online through your Member Portal. If you have difficulty accessing your portal, please contact the Society’s reception at 902-422-1491.
2023-2024 Monthly Payment Installment Dates
First payment: June 20, 2023, covering two months Fees, administration fee and HST. The total for NSBS fees is $535.90 (including HST). For members paying the full LIANS insurance levy, this first draw includes an additional $371.83 (including HST) for a total of $907.73
Additional monthly payments: Drawn on the 20th of each month with the last payment on April 20, 2024 (no payment during May 2024). The monthly amount for NSBS fees is $233.45 (including HST). For members paying the full LIANS insurance levy, there is an additional $174.42 (including HST) for a total of $407.87.
Fees Paid by your Employer
It is a member’s responsibility to ensure their fees are paid. If you have an agreement with an employer or other third party to pay your fees on your behalf, then you are responsible to ensure this happens.
For questions related to billing, please contact the Society’s Accounting Administrator at [email protected].
All other fee-related inquiries, contact Kate Shewan, Director, Finance & Administration, at [email protected].