Patterson Law is seeking an energetic, hard-working LEGAL ASSISTANT to join our Halifax Tax Group. If you are interested to learn and build a career in the legal industry, this may be the opportunity for you!
Reporting to the Corporate Services Coordinator, the Legal Assistant will provide legal & administrative support to designated lawyers.
Location: Downtown Halifax Office – 1801 Hollis Street
Work Schedule: Standard work hours are 34.5 per week, 9:00-5:00 Monday to Friday. Some flexibility and occasional overtime will be required.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
– Support – Provide legal and administrative support to designated lawyers and general support for the Tax Group
– General Accountabilities – Direct liaison with client when appropriate; Liaising with external lawyers and accountants when appropriate; Scheduling and arranging meetings, conferences, seminars, lunches, dinners, travel, etc. when required; Maintenance and submission of time as appropriate; Attend to lawyers’ monthly billing; Assist with reports to clients; Assist with assembly of document packages for signature; Assist lawyers with non-firm activities (e.g. political, community, charitable, etc.)
– Mail – Open and date stamp mail, scan and save, and route to the appropriate lawyers; Preparation of signed letters for mailing and ensuring all enclosures are scanned and included
– Records Management – Filing and ongoing maintenance of files and minute books in accordance with group procedures, including electronic files and electronic corporate database; Closing of files (including culling, shredding, preparation for filming/scanning); General housekeeping with regard to personal workstation and common areas within the office
– Telephone Communications – Messages; Arranging appointments and video/conference calls; Client inquiries; Client liaison ensuring calls are returned
– Correspondence – Preparation of standard form letters; composing draft letters of a routine and more complex nature
– Documentation – Preparation of standard precedent documents; Familiarity with the Firm’s precedent indices; Drafting, editing, and proofreading documents of a routine and more complex nature
– Tending to third party deposits within walking distance of the office
– Other – Additional duties as assigned based on the Firm’s requirements
– Successful completion of a Paralegal/Office Administration diploma or undergraduate degree
– Prior experience as a Legal Assistant is ideal, but not a requirement. The right candidate can learn and grow on-the-job
– Knowledge & experience in the area of Corporate/Tax law would be an asset, but is not required
– Highly detailed-oriented and impeccably organized
– Ability to effectively prioritize, track, and follow-up on outstanding items with all parties involved including the lawyers, colleagues, and clients
– Accurately follows instructions and asks questions to clarify requirements & ensure work is done properly
– Strong judgment with comfort to act independently and anticipate lawyers’ needs
– Excellent proofreading, spelling, and grammar skills
– Strong keyboarding skills and an affinity to learn new technology
– Energetic, flexible, and willing to pitch in wherever necessary
– Strong written and verbal communication skills
The new Legal Assistant is needed as soon as possible. If you are interested in this dynamic role and meet the requirements of this position, please apply with resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Truro, Halifax, New Glasgow, Bridgewater, and Pictou and with clients whose interests range from global to purely local. Our more than 150 lawyers and staff are dedicated to meeting our clients’ diverse legal needs. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated and motivated staff.
We are pleased to offer our staff a competitive salary and group insurance coverage after one month of employment.
Patterson Law hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to employment equity and welcome diversity. Applications are encouraged from all interested and qualified individuals.
Internal and external candidates will be considered simultaneously for this posting.
Link to Job Posting: https://pattersonlaw.ca/careers/career-opportunities/
Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 03/08/2022