We are currently seeking an experienced LEGAL ASSISTANT to join our Criminal Litigation group at our downtown Halifax location, 1801 Hollis Street.
Reporting to the Office Manager, the Legal Assistant will provide legal & administrative support to designated lawyers within Patterson Law’s Criminal Litigation Group. Working as part of the larger Litigation team, the successful candidate will work directly with clients and lawyers, assisting in all steps of the legal process and must value and excel at being part of a high-performing team.
Standard work hours are 34.5 per week. Some flexibility and occasional overtime will be required.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
– Prepare, review and proofread correspondence and legal documents
– Record time, prepare bills of cost and client ledger reconciliations
– Assist with internal and external coordination of logistics with respect to examinations for discovery, trials, and hearings
– Manage court schedule for the criminal law group
– Liaise with multiple court offices to acquire copies of documents from Court files
– Assist with preparing, compiling, serving, and filing court documents
– General file and project management in collaboration with counsel
– Manage incoming emails and correspondence and filing electronically in appropriate shared file management system
– Establish and organize client files, monitor calendars, meet deadlines, document actions, and next steps
– Take a proactive approach to urgent matters by initiating the necessary action, particularly when the lawyers are away from the office to attend court or meet with clients
– Keep clients informed by maintaining contact and communicating case progress
– Accomplish organization goals by accepting ownership for completing new and ad-hoc requests
– Manage, prepare, and submit client, office expenses and cheque requisitions for disbursements in a timely manner
– Prepare forms and follow internal and external protocols
– Collaborate with counsel, clients and vendors for the collection, review and production of documents
– Assist lawyers with administrative tasks related to travel arrangements, managing both personal and professional calendars
– Maintain a reminder/bring forward system
– Arrange courier service of documents, assist the team with any other administrative tasks as required
– A minimum of three (3) years’ experience as a legal assistant in a law firm (criminal law background preferred)
– Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision, independently and collaboratively within a team environment
– Ability to manage a high volume of files, demonstrating good judgment and utmost professionalism at all times and particularly when working under pressure
– Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
– Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and exercise discretion when necessary
– Applied knowledge of court rules and procedures
– Highly organized, detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and work well under pressure
– Strong attention to detail with the flexibility to accommodate work demands
– Ability to work 9:00 am to 5:00 pm with occasional overtime
The new Legal Assistant is needed as soon as possible. If you are interested and meet the requirements of this position, please apply with resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are pleased to offer our staff a competitive salary, group insurance coverage, and pension plan membership after a year.
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Truro, New Glasgow, Halifax, and Bridgewater and with clients whose interests range from global to purely local. Our more than 130 lawyers and staff are dedicated to meeting our clients’ diverse legal needs. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated and motivated staff.
Patterson Law hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to employment equity and welcome diversity. Applications are encouraged from all interested and qualified individuals.
Internal and external candidates may be considered simultaneously for this posting.
Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 10/14/2021