NOVA SCOTIA LEGAL AID COMMISSION
Type of Employment: Term
Location: Halifax South Office, 400-5475 Spring Garden Road
Salary: Clerical Pay Plan (CL), CL 14 Step 1 to CL 22 Step 5 ($39,566.54 to $55,346.32)
Closing Date: February 21, 2024 at 4:30 pm
Who we are:
Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission (NSLAC) delivers quality legal aid services throughout the Province, providing some level of help to all Nova Scotians with a focus on assisting those who are systematically disadvantaged. NSLAC’s focus is in the practice areas of criminal, family, and social justice law.
NSLAC employs staff in 24 offices and 3 sub-offices throughout the Province. Our staff are comprised of Staff Lawyers, Legal Assistants, Paralegals, Court Support Workers, Social Workers, a Social Justice Support Worker, and a Prison Law Support Worker. Our staff help thousands of clients every year. We are committed to helping overcome historical and ongoing barriers to access to justice and our Staff Lawyers have litigated many important cases to protect the rights of individuals.
Reporting to the Managing Lawyer under the direction of Staff Lawyers, the Legal Assistant provides comprehensive administrative support in criminal law matters to the lawyers in the day-to-day conduct of clients’ legal affairs. An understanding of and commitment to client service is imperative. The Legal Assistant must have a broad range of knowledge relating to the functions, activities, policies and practices of the NSLAC.
Ideal Abilities and Skills:
• Effectively manage the front desk, incoming calls, application intakes and distribution.
• Manage, organize and co-ordinate Lawyers’ Practice.
• Transcribes and types briefs and correspondence, and assures timely preparation, accuracy and documentation of all Family Court and Family Division related documents including Orders, affidavits, financial statements, petitions, etc.
• Ensures the management of all legal administrative related duties.
• Ability to work independently, to take initiative, and to use judgment in matters of extreme confidentiality and sensitivity.
• Be able to work with clients who have complex needs and works independently in a fast-paced environment as well as part of a team.
• Compliance with NSLAC’s policies and procedures.
• Demonstrated time management and ability to deal with conflicting priorities and deadlines.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, including comfort speaking with diverse people
• Experience and proficiency with computer software packages including legal research applications, MS Office and Outlook.
• All other duties as required
• Post-secondary diploma in Legal Administration or Paralegal or equivalent training and related relevant experience.
• Minimum 2 years of experience with family law cases, criminal court practices, social justice matters, procedures and systems would be an asset.
We value a workplace where diversity, in all its forms, is encouraged and recognized for its contribution to a more creative, rewarding workplace that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. We welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application, cover letter or resume.
If you are talented, hardworking and want to be a member of a team that is highly experienced, very caring, dedicated and committed to their clients, we would like to hear from you.
Please indicate Position Title and Location and whether you are an internal or external applicant in the email subject line. Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected].
While we appreciate receiving all applications, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications will be held in strict confidence.
Link to Job Posting:
Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 02/21/2024