Labour and Employment Lawyer
Wickwire Holm is an established law firm located in downtown Halifax, Nova Scotia.
We have an immediate opening in Halifax for a Labour and Employment Lawyer. Experience in collective bargaining and arbitration would be considered an asset. The successful candidate will be a part of a dynamic and busy employer-side practice group. While the successful candidate will be expected to manage files independently, we provide ongoing mentorship to our lawyers to ensure their professional development and success. The Labour and Employment Practice Group has a strong presence in long term care (one of the fastest growing sectors of the economy) and in municipal law.
With thirteen lawyers assisted by an experienced team of support staff and paralegals, our firm strikes the balance between the opportunities provided by a large organization and the personal touch of a small firm.
This is a salaried, partnership-track position with benefits and paid professional development opportunities.
Required Skills and Experience:
• 3 years’ minimum post-call experience in the area of Labour and Employment;
• Must be a member in good standing of a provincial bar and eligible for membership in the Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society;
• A commitment to client service;
• Strong communication and advocacy skills, both oral and written;
• Time management skills (it will be a rare day that you will work on only one file);
• File management skills;
• Flexibility to address client needs as they arise;
• The ability to work collaboratively with others. We work as a team on files and each member of the Practice Group has a role to play;
• The ability to find practical and creative solutions;
• Interested in client development and marketing;
• An ability to travel. We have clients throughout Nova Scotia (and, increasingly, beyond Nova Scotia). Hearings, collective bargaining and other work might require that you travel to our client’s locale.
Wickwire Holm encourages its associates to take carriage of files and build relationships with clients early in their careers. If you are interested in doing challenging and rewarding work, please send your resume and cover letter to: Management Committee via [email protected] or [email protected]
Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 03/15/2022