Tidnish Holdings Limited, a private holding company based in Oxford, Nova Scotia, seeks an individual to join its corporate office in the role of General Counsel.
In addition to significant investments, through its wholly owned operating companies Tidnish has extensive operations in Canada and the United States in the agriculture and food processing (Oxford Frozen Foods), telecommunications (Eastlink Communications) and airport services (Inland Technologies) businesses. The businesses operate with significant autonomy under the strategic and financial oversight of a small Tidnish head office.
Oxford Frozen Foods, headquartered in Oxford, Nova Scotia, has grown to be the world’s largest provider of Wild Blueberries, one of North America’s largest producers of premium, frozen carrots and one of Canada’s premier manufacturers of onion rings and battered appetizers with eight manufacturing facilities and two large farming operations within Atlantic Canada and the United States.
Eastlink Communications, headquartered in Halifax, Nova Scotia, has grown from a hometown cable company with just a handful of people to a team of over 1,300 people serving hundreds of small towns across seven provinces and Bermuda. Eastlink has become a leader in fibre technology with a sophisticated national network connecting customers from coast-to-coast.
Inland Technologies, headquartered in Truro, Nova Scotia, has grown to provide a full range of airport environmental compliance services, along with aircraft de-icing and airport ground handling services serving 40 airports in four countries. Inland Technologies also offers a range of specialized environmental services to the energy production sector primarily, including produced water treatment, MEG regeneration, site remediation and waste oil recycling.
This is a new position, reporting to the CEO. The GC will support head office corporate functions and oversee all legal functions in the group.
As a business with deep roots in Atlantic Canada, Tidnish is committed to supporting rural communities. The successful candidate shares that commitment to live in Oxford or the surrounding area and contribute to the fabric of rural Nova Scotia.
Compensation and benefits are competitive.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide clear, accurate assessment of legal risks and liabilities
• Provide legal advice and counsel in respect of head office matters such as the
financing of the group
Retain, instruct and manage external legal counsel for head office matters and oversee the retention and management of external legal counsel for operating
• Provide recommendations related to the structuring of commercial and financial
• Negotiate, draft and administer a variety of business agreements and other legal
• Assist operating companies with enterprise risk management and internal
• Identify and develop policies and procedures to address risk, liability, legal and
• Identify, develop and maintain systems to support internal “corporate memory”
• Perform corporate secretary role as requested
• Member in good standing with a Canadian Law Society
• 15-20 years experience gained in a large law firm or in-house legal department
• Strong analytical and negotiating skills with an emphasis on commercial and
• Exposure to regulatory matters and M&A would be an asset, as would
experience in firm leadership and management roles
• Intellectually curious with a mind-set of continuous improvement
• Self-starter with the ability to work independently
• Excellent organizational, oral communication and writing skills
• Practical, solution-oriented problem-solver
• Values collaboration and working in a team environment
Applications may be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications is: October 12th, 2021 at 5:00PM Atlantic Standard Time.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 10/12/2021