NOVA SCOTIA LEGAL AID COMMISSION
Available Position: 12 Month Contract
Location: Kentville – 325 Main Street
Salary: Staff Lawyer Pay Plan Policy- Based on Relevant Experience
Closing Date: Friday, May 6, 2022 at 4:30 PM
Who we are:
Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission (NSLAC) delivers legal aid services throughout the Province, providing some level of help to all Nova Scotians with a focus on assisting those who are vulnerable and historically disadvantaged. NSLAC’s focus is in the practice areas of criminal, family and social justice law.
NSLAC employs Staff Lawyers in 23 offices throughout the Province. Staff Lawyers help thousands of clients every year and spend much of their time in court. They are committed to helping overcome historical barriers to access to justice. Staff Lawyers have litigated many important cases to protect the rights of individuals.
The Staff Lawyer provides advice and legal representation on a broad range of criminal law related legal matters primarily in Supreme and Provincial Court. The lawyer will give legal opinions, file legal documents, attend court proceedings and is an advocate on behalf of clients. The successful candidate will be expected to participate in community and other legal education in the areas of criminal law and related procedures.
Ideal Abilities and Skills:
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience of relevant criminal law.
• Ability to manage a high caseload.
• Be able to work with clients who have complex needs, creatively problem solves and works independently in a fast-paced environment as well as part of a team.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively.
• Must be skilled in negotiation, debate, and persuasion techniques.
• Compliance with NSLAC’s policies and procedures.
• Training or advocacy experience in relation to mental health issues.
• Demonstrated time management and ability to deal with conflicting priorities and deadlines.
• Ability to investigate facts, identify issues, ascertain organizational objectives, consider alternative solutions, analyze risk and advise clients.
• Demonstrated ability to use latest communication technologies Experience and proficiency with computer software packages including legal research applications, MS Word and Outlook or equivalents.
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
• Bachelor of Laws (LLB) or Juris Doctor (JD) Degree.
• Practicing member in good standing of the Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society (and/or any other provincial law society)
Please note: For the safety and well-being of our clients and employees, we require proof of COVID-19 vaccination before commencing employment. Accommodations will be made for those exempt from the COVID-19 vaccination based on grounds protected by relevant human rights law.
Our goal is to be a diverse and accessible workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. We encourage qualified individuals from historically disadvantaged groups, including Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons, persons with disabilities, retirees, and women in positions where they are underrepresented. Applicants from these groups wishing to self-identify may do so on their cover letter or resume.
If you are talented, hardworking and want to be a member of a team that is highly experienced, very caring, dedicated and committed to their clients, we would like to hear from you.
Please indicate the position title and whether you are an internal or external applicant in the email subject line. Please send your resume and cover letter to NSLA-Careers@nslegalaid.ca.
While we appreciate receiving all applications, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications will be held in strict confidence.
Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 05/06/2022