Competition # : 36719
Location: BIBLE HILL
Type of Employment: Permanent
Union Status: NSGEU – NSPG
Closing Date: 10/4/2022 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
The Department of Agriculture’s mandate is the development of competitive, sustainable, and profitable agriculture and agri-business industries that contribute to the economic, environmental and social prosperity of Nova Scotia’s rural and urban communities. Our vision is of a Nova Scotia agriculture and agri-food industry that is diversified, market-focused and profitable.
About Our Opportunity
As a Regulatory Planning Officer, you will report to the Manager of the Natural Products Marketing Council and will serve as a source of information and analysis to the Natural Products Marketing Council and marketing boards on the legislative and regulatory development process. This is an exciting opportunity for those who possess experience in a regulatory environment conducting research and analysis, drafting regulations and distilling complex information for diverse audiences as well as those who excel at analyzing and reviewing complex issues and developing and presenting recommendations.
You will be responsible for drafting and preparing complex regulatory changes under the Natural Products Act and the Dairy Industry Act and for providing strategic planning and development support and advice to the Natural Products Marketing Council and for conducting research and analysis on policy, legal and regulatory trends and developments.
As a Regulatory Planning Officer, you will:
• Identify and monitor new and emerging regulations that may impact the production and marketing of agricultural products and/or business development.
• Coordinate, facilitate and participate in stakeholder consultations to identify industry developments, key interests, concerns, requirements and challenges.
• Proactively deal with compliance-related issues by providing compliance guidance to marketing boards and industry stakeholders.
• Respond to and address enquiries from marketing boards, industry stakeholders, other government agencies and the public concerning regulatory issues in the regulated marketing sector.
• Support the development of strategic plans for the Natural Products Marketing Council.
• Provide expert advice and consultative/coordination services to marketing boards in response to a wide range of issues and matters including interpretation/explanation of legislation, regulations and the Natural Products Marketing Council’s policies and direction.
Qualifications and Experience
As the successful candidate, you possess a Bachelor’s Degree in public administration, business, law or related field plus five (5) years of relevant experience; or a Master’s degree in a related field plus three (3) years of relevant experience. The completion of a Law Degree will be considered an asset for this position.
You also have:
• research, organizational and critical thinking skills to facilitate the development of practical solutions to complex issues
• strong organizational and interpersonal skills
• the ability to prioritize and undertake high level work under tight deadlines
• excellent communication (verbal and written), presentation and consultation skills to effectively communicate and present complex technical information
• proficiency with basic desktop applications including word processing, presentations, e-mail and spreadsheets
• a high level of diplomacy and ability to maintain confidentiality
• the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively within and lead cross-functional teams
• knowledge of policy, legislative and regulatory tools and their application and a thorough knowledge of the legislative process
We will assess the above qualifications using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s) and reference checks.
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Based on the employment status and Union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs. Click here to learn more about our various benefits offering and eligibility criteria.
While travel may be minimal. the successful candidate must have a valid driver’s license and have access to a reliable vehicle.
This competition is to fill a Permanent employment opportunity in Bible Hill, Truro.
What We Offer
• Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career.
• Engaging workplace. Our Employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in. We have forward-thinking policies and strategies.
• Countless career paths.
• Department Specific Flexible working schedules.
Pay Grade: PR 13
Salary Range: $2,469.30 – $3,001.65 Bi-Weekly
Link to Job Posting: https://jobs.novascotia.ca/job-invite/36719/
Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 10/04/2022