The WorkSafeNB team is passionate about promoting health and safety in New Brunswick workplaces. When a workplace injury does occur, we provide caring recovery services, benefits and compensation to those injured and their families. We’re focused on driving a safety-first culture, providing effective recovery and return to work services, maintaining a sustainable system that ensures New Brunswickers are protected for generations to come, and providing superior service to all our clients.
WorkSafeNB is accepting applications for a permanent position of Associate Legal Counsel in Saint John, New Brunswick. Although the head office for WorkSafeNB is in Saint John, flexible work arrangements may be considered.
Reporting to the General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, you will provide a full range of legal services to WorkSafeNB as assigned by the General Counsel. This includes providing advice and opinions on health and safety law. You will also provide advice, opinions and information on issues arising under the Workers’ Compensation Act and the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission Act and also undertakes corporate issues as assigned by the General Counsel.
You, as a successful candidate, possess the following competencies:
• Ensuring Accountability
• Teamwork and Collaboration
• Client-focused Service
• Analytical Thinking
• Consulting and Advising
• Written Communication
• Legislation and Compliance
• Legal Advice
• Technical Editing and Revision of Legal Documents
You, as the successful applicant, should possess:
• A law degree and be a member, or eligible for membership, in the Law Society of New Brunswick.
• A minimum of five years of experience in the practice of law.
• Experience in the areas of insurance, workers’ compensation, health and safety, and/or employment and labour law would be preferred.
• A varied work background including the ability to understand highly technical, scientific and legal issues that relate to work and work processes in New Brunswick.
• The ability to interpret and comprehend complex legislation combined with excellent inter-personal and written skills and knowledge of government operations, dispute resolution/labour negotiations and legal research skills.
• Self-motivation, initiative, good judgment, organizational skills, ability to work within deadlines and prioritize activities.
Travel will be required.
Written and spoken competence in English is required, but bilingualism in both official languages would be considered an asset.
WorkSafeNB offers a competitive annual salary with excellent benefits, including:
• Comprehensive benefits package (health, dental, life insurance, long-term disability insurance)
• Pension plan (Province of New Brunswick Public Service Shared Risk Plan)
• Competitive vacation and leave benefits
• Enhanced opportunities for professional development
• Support to attend professional association activities
If you are interested in employment with WorkSafeNB, please apply online at worksafenb.ca by April 29, 2021.
We thank all those who apply however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
For more information about WorkSafeNB, or this and other employment opportunities, please visit our website at worksafenb.ca.
Link to Job Posting: https://www.ws-ts.nb.ca/services/recruitment/en/21-155000-53
Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 04/29/2021