Torys is a highly respected international business law firm with offices in Toronto, New York, Calgary, Montréal and Halifax. We work together to offer seamless cross-border services to our clients all over the world.
As a Torys employee, you will enjoy both an exciting, fast-paced work environment and a supportive, collegial and team-based culture. Our positions are best suited to individuals who take pride and ownership in their work and demonstrate exceptional client service in everything they do. At Torys, we take pride in our ability to attract and retain individuals who excel in their respective fields. We do this by providing stimulating work and learning and development opportunities, as well as a competitive compensation and benefits package.
The Administrative/Legal Assistant is responsible for providing administrative and document-related support to principals, and other administration-related tasks including covering reception.
• Greet visitors in a professional and courteous manner, provide and keep track of access cards for all visitors, offer refreshments (as required), and direct to appropriate waiting area.
• Responsible for opening the office at the start of day (i.e., emptying the dishwasher, boardroom setup, office tidiness, etc.) and organizing and maintaining the supply storeroom. Manage the delivery of supplies which includes stocking kitchen, cleaning, and office supplies (i.e., paper, pens, etc.).
• Maintain printing services including managing request service and monitoring inventory levels to ensure the copier is adequately stocked.
• Provide administrative support to principals (lawyers and paralegals) which includes travel arrangements, expense reports, boardroom bookings, cheque requisitions, filing, arranging courier packages, handling and reviewing incoming mail/email/fax communications, photocopying, printing, binding, and any other administrative assistance as required.
• Create various legal and other documents/agreements through copy typing, transcription, scanning or other methods. Document work includes converting styles, performing mail merges, inserting media into presentations, cross-referencing, indexing, creating tables, working with graphs, charts and objects, using graphics applications, etc.
• Assign lawyers to review non-disclosure agreements, pricing supplements, and related closing documents.
• Maintain and organize files to ensure they are easily retrievable by principals, file/scan all paper or electronic correspondence/records into the firm’s document management system.
• Proofread and quality-check documents for appropriate formatting, spelling, grammar, and clarity.
• Respond promptly to requests and work collaboratively with other departments/members of the Firm.
• Participate in training, initiatives, and projects as required.
ATTRIBUTES & EXPERIENCE
• Post-secondary degree or diploma in a related field or equivalent experience to successfully complete the essential requirements of the role.
• Previous related experience, preferably in a professional services firm.
• Strong client service orientation and familiarity with a formal business environment.
• Proficient in MS Office product suite.
• Strong client service orientation combined with the ability to manage multiple client needs at the same time.
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to interact with individuals at all levels within the organization.
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work well both independently and collaboratively within a team environment.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills to effectively prioritize and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
• Exceptional attention to detail with strong formatting, proofreading and redacting skills.
• Sound judgment including the ability to deal with confidential information with utmost discretion.
• Determined with a can-do approach.
• Flexibility to occasionally work overtime.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please address your resume and cover letter, stating your salary expectations to Firm Admin Recruiting ([email protected]).
We thank all applicants for their interest in Torys LLP; however only
candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
At Torys we are committed to diversity in the recruitment, retention and advancement of our people. We believe that diversity of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives enhances the quality of our work and enriches our lives. We are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible work environment. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please contact Jenny Tavares, Director, Human Resources
Effective November 1, 2022 Torys LLP has suspended its mandatory vaccination policy. While this suspension reflects an improved public health situation, we will continue to monitor the situation closely. The wellbeing of firm members remains our top priority and we remain committed to taking all reasonable measures to provide a safe and healthy workplace. This may include reinstating the mandatory vaccination policy if required.
Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 05/05/2023