The Distinguished Service Award is presented to a member of the Nova Scotia Barristers' Society who has made significant contributions to the community, the legal profession and the Society. Nominations may be submitted by both lawyers and the public.
2018 Distinguished Service Award nominations will be due by May 15, 2018. Click to access the Distinguished Service Award nomination form
The Distinguished Service Award Committee examines the nominations and makes a recommendation to Council each year, based on the following considerations:
- Integrity: The recipient is of unimpeachably good character, with a reputation for the highest professional integrity.
- Professional achievement: The recipient is amongst the leaders in the practice of law or the academic realm.
- Service to the profession: The recipient has made long-term, exceptional volunteer contributions to the legal profession and the Society.
- Community service: The recipient is an outstanding contributor to the community, through volunteer service and a commitment to making the world a better place.
- Reform: The recipient has made an outstanding contribution to the betterment of the law or the improvement of the justice system.
- Overall: The recipient espouses the highest ideals of the legal profession and is a person to whom all members of the profession can look for inspiration.