We’re seeking an Auditor, Trust Assurance to join our team. This is a full-time term opportunity from May 2020-October 2021.
Position Type: Full-time – TERM (May 2020 – October 2021)
Job Location: Halifax, NS
As the regulator of the legal profession, the Society protects the public interest in the practice of law. The Society is the independent, trusted and respected regulator of the legal profession. Acting in the public interest, they provide leadership, value and support to a competent, ethical, inclusive and engaged legal profession.
The Auditor, Trust Assurance, manages trust account reporting and compliance of law firms. The Auditor conducts compliance audits in accordance with the Society’s Trust Account Regulations to ensure compliance with the rules and regulations that relate to lawyers’ trust accounts including regulations related to trust accounts, unclaimed trust money, client identification and verification, along with other various Society rules.
- Provides leadership and direction to the Administrator, Trust Assurance with respect to the planning and performance of the Trust Audit program.
- Conducts visits to new and established law firms throughout NS to perform compliance audits to ensure lawyers comply with the trust accounting rules and to identify potential misconduct related to financial matters.
- Works with the Education & Credentials department to educate lawyers on the skills and competencies required to appropriately open and operate a trust account.
- Provides feedback to lawyers regarding their level of compliance with the rules and steps to take to remedy any deficiencies, recommending non-compliant firms to Professional Conduct, or Practice Standards Departments.
- Reviews annual Trust Report submissions (Lawyer and Accountant reports) and uses professional judgment to determine if the firm’s level of compliance with Trust Regulations is acceptable.
- Composes and reviews correspondence from lawyers regarding Trust Reports, Regulation violations and other matters.
- Supports and assists departments with the interpretation of Trust Account Regulations, accounting procedures and analysis of trust accounting issues.
- Participates in the review and refinement of the Trust Assurance Program, including continued development of audit procedures, review and revision of the Trust Account rules, and reference material such as the Trust Accounting Handbook. This involves active participation in the Trust Account Regulation Working Group and the national Trust Account Group.
- Responds to inquiries and assists firms in understanding regulations and appropriate trust accounting processes.
- Provides support as needed to the Professional Responsibility department regarding complaints and to related committees, when required.
- Supports the Society by providing research on advice including such areas as E-Commerce, cyber-crime, money laundering and other areas of potential fraud.
- Degree in Finance and CPA designation
- At least 5 years of Auditing experience
- Knowledge of the Trust Accounting Regulations and general Law Firm accounting
- Excellent attention to detail, sound judgement, sensitivity and the ability to work independently in an environment where accuracy and confidentiality are paramount
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to engage with and educate lawyers through different means of presentations and facilitated training sessions.
- Leadership and management experience
- Must have a valid NS Driver’s license and access to a vehicle as travel will be required
- Advanced training in fraud related courses or CFE, CIA or CAMS designation
- Strong knowledge of legal accounting rules and general law firm accounting rules
- Considerable knowledge of computer applications, related technology and audit techniques
NSBS offers a total compensation package that includes a competitive salary based on qualifications and experience and a complete health benefit package.
CLOSING DATE: March 8, 2020
If this exciting opportunity interests you, please forward your résumé and cover letter in confidence, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We value diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from all employment equity groups. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.