Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reference # – AC 15865
Meridia Recruitment Solutions has partnered with BF&M to recruit a Legal Counsel to join their team. Founded in 1903, the BF&M is an international group of companies that provide a wide array of insurance products. The BF&M group of companies operates in Bermuda, Halifax and across the Caribbean and are in need of an Intermediate Legal Counsel to join their team in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
At BF&M, great talent is at the core of their success across all jurisdictions in which they operate. Key programs are dedicated to appreciating and developing their employees through training resources, performance reviews, bonus awards, sports and social events and various opportunities to share knowledge with their colleagues from around the world. The strive to be an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
Learn more at www.bfm.bm
• Reporting directly into the Group General Counsel, the Legal Counsel is responsible for the management of legal and compliance risk for the insurance company in its key internal operating jurisdictions.
• Provide technical knowledge and understanding of laws and regulations in key operations jurisdictions, including economic substance, trusts, sanctions, AML, regulatory licensing, data protection
• Take a leadership role for supporting growth (acquisition / new product development, operating in new jurisdictions) through transactional work and regulatory submissions and communications
• Interface with regulators on a regular basis to maintain and enhance regulatory relationships in conjunction with the Head of Compliance and Head of Regulatory Reporting
• Monitor, consider, and advise on legal and/or regulatory developments and their impact on the organization
• Communicate to stakeholders legal and regulatory risk and issues involved in any business decision
• Support in the preparation of regulatory submissions and communications
• Assist in the development of policies, procedures, and controls
• Participate in legal and compliance projects and initiatives at a Group level
• Support improvement of standard form agreements and legal processes
• Support business units in managing their legal and regulatory obligations and implementing change where required
• Assist in preparing reports and corporate filings
• Provide corporate secretarial support
• Prepare Board material and updates
• Assist in developing and delivering legal training
• Provide corporate support on transactions, acting as a strategic partner for the business on key initiatives
• Minimum of 5 years’ post qualification experience advising regulated entities including insurers, banks, investment managers, trust companies or fund administrators. Insurance experience is an asset
• Strong technical ability
• Strong communication skills, delivering technical knowledge and advice in an impactful way to stakeholders
• Good analytical skills and attention to detail
• Motivated, organized, and enthusiastic/personable
• Ability to establish strong rapport with internal stakeholders across multiple jurisdictions, and develop sound and trusted relationships at Group level
To express interest in this opportunity, please click on the “Apply Now” button below.
For more information, please contact Adam Creaghan, Partner at [email protected] or 647-336-1416 or Muna Dhere, Recruitment Specialist at [email protected] or 647-480-1718 If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Muna Dhere know.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice, we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.
Link to Job Posting: https://meridiarecruitment.ca/Career/15865
Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 12/15/2022