|NOVA SCOTIA LEGAL AID COMMISSION|
Available Position: 12 Month Contract (Covering a Leave)
Location: Dartmouth Criminal – 300-99 Wyse Road
Salary: Clerical Pay Plan, CL 14 Step 1 to CL 22 Step 5 ($37,101.74 to $51,898.34)
Closing Date: Friday, January 22, 2021 at 4:30 PM
Who we are:
Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission (NSLAC) delivers legal aid services throughout the Province, providing some level of help to all Nova Scotians with a focus on assisting those who are vulnerable and historically disadvantaged. NSLAC’s focus is in the practice areas of criminal, family and social justice law.
Reporting to the Managing Lawyer under the direction of staff lawyers, the legal assistant provides comprehensive administrative support in criminal law matters to the lawyers in the day-to-day conduct of clients’ legal affairs. An understanding of and commitment to client service is imperative. The legal assistant must have a broad range of knowledge relating to the functions, activities, policies and practices of the NSLAC.
Ideal Abilities and Skills:
• Effectively manage the front desk, incoming calls, application intake and distribution.
• Manage, organize and coordinate lawyers’ practices.
• Transcribes, types briefs and transcripts assuring timely preparation, accuracy and documentation of correspondence.
• Certificate administration.
• Ensures management of all legal administrative related duties.
• Ability to work independently, to take initiative, and to use judgment in matters of extreme confidentiality and sensitivity.
• Be able to work with clients who have complex needs.
• Work independently in a fast-paced environment as well as part of a team.
• Compliance with NSLAC’s policies and procedures.
• Demonstrated time management and ability to deal with conflicting priorities and deadlines.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively.
• Experience and proficiency with computer software packages including legal research applications, MS Office and Outlook.
• All other duties as required.
• Post-secondary diploma in Legal Administration or Paralegal or equivalent training and related relevant experience.
• Minimum 2 years of experience with criminal court practices, procedures and systems would be an asset.
Our goal is to be a diverse and accessible workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. We encourage qualified individuals from historically disadvantaged groups, including Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons, persons with disabilities, retirees and women in positions where they are underrepresented. Applicants from these groups wishing to self-identify may do so on their cover letter or resume.
If you are talented, hardworking and want to be a member of a team that is highly experienced, very caring, dedicated and committed to their clients, we would like to hear from you.
Please indicate position title, office location and whether you are an internal or external applicant in the posting in the email subject line. Please send your resume and cover letter to NSLA-Careers@nslegalaid.ca
While we appreciate receiving all applications, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications will be held in strict confidence.
|Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 01/22/2021|