Reporting to the Director, Legal Services & Corporate Secretary, the Legal Counsel is responsible for providing legal services and advice on a wide range of corporate/commercial and real estate matters to internal departments at HIAA.
The successful applicant will be a lawyer who can provide practical advice based on legal principles, risk and an understanding of HIAA’s strategies and priorities. In the absence of the Director, Legal Services & Corporate Secretary, the Legal Counsel will be responsible for providing legal services, advice and counsel directly to members of the Senior Leadership Team, including the President & CEO.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
• Provide advice on compliance with legislation, internal policies and procedures, legal agreements, and risk management matters.
• Draft, review and negotiate legal agreements, including but not limited to leases, licenses, revenue agreements, service contracts and construction contracts.
• Review and approve tenders, requests for proposals, non-disclosure agreements and other elements of the procurement process.
• Identify and mitigate legal risk for HIAA.
• Assist with corporate governance work, including preparation for HIAA board and committee meetings.
• Negotiate the scope of work and appropriate fees with external legal counsel as required, and oversee external counsel engaged to represent HIAA.
• Assist with Official Languages compliance matters.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
• Bachelor of Laws or a Juris Doctor and a member in good standing with the Bar Society of Nova Society
• Minimum of three (3) years relevant experience from a corporate/commercial law firm or in-house legal department.
• Experience in general corporate law and commercial leasing.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate legal advice in a clear and practical manner.
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to meet deadlines and manage a variety of projects simultaneously and balance conflicting priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• Strong team player and demonstrated ability to resolve conflict
• Demonstrate sound, pragmatic judgment with the ability to problem-solve and critically analyze situations.
• Ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative and desire for continuous learning opportunities.
Interested applicants should send their CV in the first instance to Ed Cohen at ZSA [email protected] Ref#32113
Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 02/09/2023