Crown Council Opportunity in Saskatchewan
Are you seeking to practice law and make a difference? Would you like to have a great career and work life balance? If so, you might be the perfect candidate for us! Public Prosecutions is seeking to fill opportunities in Prince Albert, La Ronge, Regina and North Battleford.
As a Crown Prosecutor you will help deliver justice through fair and effective prosecutions. Sound legal expertise and excellent inter-personal skills will make you an integral part of preserving and improving public safety and the lives of people in our communities. The work offers an intellectual challenge, and an opportunity to make a difference in your community.
Public Prosecutions prosecutes those charged under the Criminal Code, Youth Criminal Justice Act, some other federal statutes, and some provincial statutes. Public Prosecutions promotes safe communities by just conclusion of criminal charges through various means, ranging from vigorous prosecution of trial matters to working with justice partners, individuals, and organizations to implement alternative resolutions.
The competitive salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. The person hired will be entitled to at least three weeks annual vacation, twelve scheduled days off, and statutory holidays. The person hired will also be entitled to a full benefit package after six months of service.
– Eligible for membership and, on an ongoing basis, holding a membership in good standing with the Law Society of Saskatchewan
– Satisfactorily pass a criminal record check
– Litigation experience in the practice of criminal law
– Outstanding oral communication and presentation skills
– Superior written communication skills
– Excellent interpersonal skills
– Excellent analytical skills
– Effective case management and organization skills
– The ability to meet short deadlines, working independently and as part of a team.
– Experience and proficiency with computer software applications including legal research applications and MS Office. Experience with CJIMS is considered an asset but not required.
Under the direction of the Regional Crown Prosecutor, you will responsible for a multitude of duties and decisions. Primary duties will be the carriage of criminal, quasi-criminal, and regulatory prosecutions in the Provincial Court for Saskatchewan and the Court of Queen’s Bench for Saskatchewan. Such carriage will include docket court work, trial work, and summary conviction appeals. Other duties include giving legal opinions, reviewing police reports, and advising police as appropriate. The successful candidate will be expected to participate in legal education in the areas of criminal law, ethics, and the like.
The hours of work can vary and include working evenings and weekends when duties require. Travel by road is required and possibly by air, with work possibly requiring overnight stays in other communities.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please forward resume with references before October 31, 2019 to:
Director of Administrative Operations
300-1874 Scarth Street
Regina, Sk S4P 4B3
Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 05/01/2020