The Society’s Distinguished Service Award (DSA), established in 1999, recognizes outstanding lawyers who have contributed significantly to their community, the legal profession and to the Society.
The 2022 DSA recipient was Shawna Paris-Hoyte KC. Review the full list of recipients.
The DSA Committee reviews the nominations and makes a recommendation to Council based on these considerations:
- Integrity: The recipient is of unimpeachably good character, with a reputation for the highest professional integrity.
- Professional achievement: The recipient is amongst the leaders in the practice of law or the academic realm.
- Service to the profession: The recipient has made long-term, exceptional volunteer contributions to elevate the legal profession through work with one or more of the following: The Society, the justice system, legal scholarship or otherwise.
- Community service: The recipient is an outstanding contributor to the community, through volunteer service and a commitment to making the world a better place.
- Reform: The recipient has made an outstanding contribution to the betterment of the law or the improvement of the justice system.
- Overall: The recipient espouses the highest ideals of the legal profession and is a person to whom all members of the profession can look for inspiration.
Do you know an outstanding lawyer who fits the nomination criteria?
Nominate a lawyer by submitting a nomination form to [email protected] by 4:00 PM on May 31, 2023.
Both members of the Society and members of the public may nominate a lawyer.
Questions? Please contact the Society’s Strategy & Engagement Advisor, Jane Willwerth, at [email protected].