The Society’s Distinguished Service Award (DSA), established in 1999, recognizes outstanding lawyers who have contributed significantly to their community, the legal profession and/or to the Society.
The 2020 DSA recipient was John Rafferty QC. Review the list of all recipients.
The DSA Committee reviews the nominations and makes a recommendation to Council based on these considerations:
- Integrity: The recipient is of unimpeachably good character, with a reputation for the highest professional integrity.
- Professional achievement: The recipient is amongst the leaders in the practice of law or the academic realm.
- Service to the profession: The recipient has made long-term, exceptional volunteer contributions to elevate the legal profession through work with one or more of the following: the Society, the justice system, legal scholarship or otherwise.
- Community service: The recipient is an outstanding contributor to the community, through volunteer service and a commitment to making the world a better place.
- Reform: The recipient has made an outstanding contribution to the betterment of the law or the improvement of the justice system.
- Overall: The recipient espouses the highest ideals of the legal profession and is a person to whom all members of the profession can look for inspiration.
Do you know an outstanding lawyer who fits the nomination criteria?
Nominate a lawyer by submitting a completed nomination form to email@example.com by May 31, 2021.
Both members of the Society and members of the public may nominate a lawyer.
Questions? Please contact the Society’s Governance, Policy & Planning Officer, Katie Lister, at firstname.lastname@example.org.