We’re happy to introduce the Society’s new Award for Mi’kmaq & Indigenous Peoples Excellence in the Legal Profession (AMIE) which recognizes outstanding Mi’kmaq and Indigenous lawyers within Nova Scotia who have contributed to their community, their Nation, the legal profession and to the Society.
The creation of this award was approved by Council at the January 2022 meeting.
The AMIE Committee will review nominations and make recommendations to Council based on the following criteria:
- The Nominee is a Mi’kmaw or Indigenous lawyer (practising or non practising) within Nova Scotia.
- Community Service: The recipient contributes and shows commitment to the Mi’kmaq & Indigenous community through volunteer work.
- Reform: The recipient has made and continues to advocate for reform and change in the justice system to ensure substantive equity for the Mi’kmaq communities and Indigenous peoples living in Nova Scotia.
- Leadership: The recipient is a community leader in striving for change.
- Mentorship: The recipient is a mentor to other Mi’kmaq and Indigenous lawyers.
- Overall: The recipient has a career in advancing Mi’kmaq and Indigenous rights and legal traditions.
Do you know an outstanding Mi’kmaw or Indigenous lawyer who fits the nomination criteria?
Nominate a lawyer by submitting a completed online nomination form or a PDF nomination form by July 8th.
Notice: It has come to our attention that the online form was not working for a period of time. Therefore we are extending the deadline to July 8th. If anyone has sent in an application and has not received an acknowledgment from us they should contact Kerry Foss and let her know. If you would prefer to submit their application by email you can complete the pdf form and send it to the attention of Kerry Foss at [email protected].
Questions about this award? Contact the Society’s Equity and Access at [email protected].
AMIE Online Nomination Form
Please note that you will not receive a confirmation email. This page will refresh and display a confirmation message confirming that we have received your submission.