Society newsNSBS Job Opportunity: Governance, Policy and Planning Advisor
Position: Governance, Policy and Planning Advisor
Position Type: Permanent, Full-time
Job Location: Halifax, NS
The Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society (NSBS) regulates the legal profession in Nova Scotia in the public interest. We fulfil our public interest mandate by ensuring that lawyers are competent and ethical, and practice law in accordance with the standards set by the Society
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Governance, Policy and Planning Advisor provides governance, policy and planning coordination support by ensuring that governance processes, policies and plans developed within and across the Society are coordinated, support the integrated management of our work and are compatible with and support the strategic direction of the Society.
The Advisor provides a range of services, including administrative, planning, research, information management and distribution, policy development, evaluation and measurement, project management and technology support in software applications, events and activities related to the governance of the Society.
Working with Council and Council Committees, the Advisor is an important liaison with internal links between governance requirements and Society operations ensuring appropriate documentation across the organization and a standardized approach to current and updated governance policies and practices.
- Coordinate the preparation of materials for Council and Executive packages and provide direction and support for those preparing materials for Council, including negotiation of deadlines and review of documents;
- Take minutes at meetings of Council, Executive and the Governance and Nominating Committee and maintain a record of Council decisions.;
- Working closely with the Executive Director, manage the Society’s elections, appointments and awards processes, including Council member appointments (public representatives and lawyer members of Council), Committee appointments, appointments to outside bodies and various awards and recognition activities;
- Under the direction of the Executive Director and in collaboration with committee chairs and assigned committee staff, facilitate the preparation of work plans that advance the Society’s regulatory objectives and strategic plan;
- Identify, assess and lead innovative technology solutions that will support more effective and efficient governance administration processes and procedures.
Policy and Planning
- Provide sound policy advice and analysis and prepare and implement Council policies and practices through liaison with relevant committees and staff support within the society.
- Ensure Council, regulatory, management and administrative policies are reviewed and revised annually in accordance with an approved schedule and are in a consistent format with proper naming standards;
- Ensure procedures are in place for the preservation and organization of key Society documents and information;
- Coordinate strategic and operational planning processes to ensure strategic goals are translated to operational plans;
- Serve as the focal point for planning and evaluation and support for the development of plans related to the management of the work of the Society.
Requirements, Skills and Assets:
The Governance, Policy and Planning Advisor supports the coordination of work and activities across the Society to advance strategic and operational goals and, therefore, requires strong organizational, time and project management, problem solving, communication, leadership and team building skills as well as a high level of judgement, initiative and discretion.
- Under graduate or graduate degree in a related area such as Business, Commerce, Public Administration or Law
- Minimum 7 years in a policy and planning role as well as experience in a governance or board administration function
- An equivalent combination of education and/or experience
- Strong leadership abilities with demonstrated strategic thinking and the ability to innovatively solve problems
- Ability to identify and define clear priorities while managing multiple initiatives
- Excellent ability to manage work groups, committees and staff who report to others
- A high level of organizational skills (planning, priority setting, time management)
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills, both written and oral
- Project management skills and experience
- Advanced skills in research, analysis and report writing
- Strong knowledge and experience in performance evaluation and measurement
- In-depth knowledge and proficiency with technology, systems and software applications and the ability to plan for technological development
- Able to work independently under tight timelines
- Ability to take initiative, be flexible and responsive to changing priorities and initiatives
- Experience working in a legal environment
- Project management (PMP) certification
- Enterprise Risk Management experience
- Budget management knowledge and skills
Closing date: June 23, 2019
We offer a competitive salary based on experience and qualifications plus a full benefit package as well as an RSP program.
NSBS values diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.