Recruitment Call: Volunteer Board Member, at large – Board of Directors
Homes for Independent Living (HIL) is a non-profit organization. We support individuals with physical disabilities and run a life skills program where individuals develop skills needed to live independently in the community.
Members at large are expected to make a commitment to the BOD on an annual basis, though we are seeking community members who intend to make a long term commitment to this organization.
The BOD is a source of public accountability and support for the workers and participants of HIL. Regular attendance at BOD meetings is expected, as well as reading of program reports and minutes in advance of the meeting and involvement in HIL community activities.
Qualifications & Skills
HIL’s board is comprised of up to 10 individuals with a diverse set of disciplines and expertise.
- Keen interest in supporting the HIL community.
- Ability to make the minimum time commitment as detailed below.
- Skills and expertise in any of these areas are an asset:
- Health Care (e.g., Social Work, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Nursing, Medicine)
- Construction and Infrastructure
- Provincial Policies (e.g., experience with the NS Department of Health and Wellness)
- Work with or community connection to adults with physical disabilities
- Opportunity to represent a long-standing local non-profit organization in Halifax.
- Adds to your curriculum vitae by demonstrating active involvement in the community.
- Opportunity to broaden yourself and your ability to relate to our community.
- Opportunity to offer your skills, expertise and enthusiasm to a good cause.
Approximate Time Requirements:
- Full board meetings = 8/yr x 2hrs each
- HIL Community Events (annual general meeting, holiday parties) = 2/yr x ~3hrs each
- Meeting preparation (document review, research, etc) = 8/yr x ~0.5hrs each
- Total Commitment = 26hours/yr
Contact Betty Strugnell (Vice Chair BOD ) firstname.lastname@example.org and Lee-Anne Penny (Executive Director) email@example.com. for more information or to obtain an application form. Applications due Monday, 17 October 2016.