NOVA SCOTIA LEGAL AID COMMISSION
SOCIAL JUSTICE SUPPORT WORKER
Type of Employment: Term
Location: 401-15 Dorchester Street, Sydney
Salary: PR 4 to PR 6 ($45,888.12 to $61,066.71)
Closing Date: February 23, 2024 at 4:30 pm
Who we are:
Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission (NSLAC) delivers quality legal aid services throughout the Province, providing some level of help to all Nova Scotians with a focus on assisting those who are systematically disadvantaged. NSLAC’s focus is in the practice areas of criminal, family, and social justice law.
NSLAC employs staff in 24 offices and 3 sub-offices throughout the Province. Our staff are comprised of Staff Lawyers, Legal Assistants, Paralegals, Court Support Workers, Social Workers, a Social Justice Support Worker, and a Prison Law Support Worker. Our staff help thousands of clients every year. We are committed to helping overcome historical and ongoing barriers to access to justice and our Staff Lawyers have litigated many important cases to protect the rights of individuals.
Reporting to the Managing Lawyer(s) of the Sydney Office, the Social Justice Support Worker (SJSW) will provide a full range of services to ensure better client service and outcomes. This role also works closely with the Social Justice office in Halifax. The successful candidate will play a significant role in the delivery of legal services to Nova Scotians by supporting clients navigating the legal system and helping them to resolve issues affecting their income and housing security in an effective and innovative manner. The SJSW will travel regularly to rural communities in Cape Breton providing direct service to clients and working collaboratively with community partners. Outreach is a significant component of the position.
The successful candidate must have a valid driver’s licence and access to a motor vehicle.
Ideal Abilities and Skills:
• Good working knowledge of procedures for Residential Tenancy and other administrative tribunals, as well as Small Claims Court hearings.
• Ability to face challenges, including developing new and innovative methods of responding to legal issues.
• Ability to work independently, to take initiative, and to use judgment in matters of extreme confidentiality and sensitivity.
• Ability to communicate effectively with the public, decision-makers and adjudicators, senior government officials, lawyers and agencies within government in a tactful, professional and courteous manner.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
• Excellent attention to detail and accuracy and capacity to work under tight deadlines and prioritize competing tasks.
• Compliance with NSLAC’s policies and procedures.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a collaborative team setting.
• Proficiency with programs such as Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.
This job posting is not a comprehensive listing of all the job requirements and is subject to change at any time and will include other tasks and duties as assigned.
• Graduate of a post-secondary education or a recognized paralegal program or equivalent.
• Five (5) years of related work experience would be an asset.
• Experience with Social Justice issues is an asset.
• Commissioner of Oaths would be an asset.
We value a workplace where diversity, in all its forms, is encouraged and recognized for its contribution to a more creative, rewarding workplace that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. We welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application, cover letter or resume.
If you are talented, hardworking and want to be a member of a team that is highly experienced, very caring, dedicated and committed to their clients, we would like to hear from you.
Please indicate Position Title and Location and whether you are an internal or external applicant in the email subject line. Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected].
While we appreciate receiving all applications, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications will be held in strict confidence.
Link to Job Posting:
Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 02/23/2024