Full-Time Excluded Position
Justice and Public Safety
2021-03-03 17:00:00 AST
$54.15 – $67.71 per hour (Level 26S Excluded)
Bi-Weekly Hours: 75.0 hours bi-weekly
This position reports to the Director of Family Law and Court Services and the Public Trustee, Public and Official Guardian is a statutory officer who acts on behalf of medically assessed, incompetent persons who are unable to manage their own affairs under either the authority of legislation or court order. This includes the power to make financial, legal, medical, and educational and other personal decisions on behalf of clients. The position is accountable for the administration of the estates of minors, deceased persons and missing persons. As well, the position provides independent oversight in court settlement matters for minors and persons under disability. This position is also a member of the management team of the Division and acts as Manager of the Office of the Public Trustee, Public and Official Guardian Section with management of the operational and financial functions of the Office.
Duties will include:
- Acting as the manager of the Office of the Public Trustee, Public and Official Guardian Section within the Family Law and Court Services Division, including staffing, evaluating employee performance and maintaining section budgets;
- Acting as the principal decision maker on asset management with the Public Trustee’s Office, including property, investments and personal property;
- Assisting individuals who are unable to look after their financial affairs as Committee, a power or attorney, or estate administrator in accordance with legislation and policy that impacts the Office;
- Maintaining client assets in excess of $9 million, held in trust;
- Attending Supreme Court as an Applicant or Defendant in order to ensure that the rights of Public Trustee clients are appropriately represented.
- Acting as the principal decision maker on Guardianship files;
- Reviewing legal and medical documents to determine whether a client should come under the care of the Public Guardians;
- Making health treatment decisions on behalf of persons in accordance with Consent to Treatment and Health Care Directives Act;
- On call from time to time after hours to make health treatment decisions
- Providing legal information on services relating to Office to the local bar, the court and public;
- Acting as litigation guardian of minors and other persons when required to do so under the Act and the Rules of Court;
- Other duties as required.
- A law degree and be a member, or eligible for membership, with the Prince Edward Island Bar Law Society supplemented by extensive experience (five years of more) as a practicing lawyer.
- Considerable experience in laws that relate to functions carried out by the Public Trustee, Public Guardian and Official Guardian.
- Considerable supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated Equivalency may be considered.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills.
- Ability to interpret and apply provisions of complex legislation.
- Strong investigative skills, time management and organizational skills.
- Flexibility to manage a broad range of tasks is essential.
- Computer capability in Microsoft Office, and Groupwise.
- Must be comfortable preparing and making presentations to groups.
- A proven ability to develop good working relations with external organizations and agencies.
- A proven ability to work independently and manage a high volume, complex case load.
- The successful applicant must provide a satisfactory criminal records check prior to beginning employment;
- The successful applicant may be required to hold/obtain and maintain an Enhanced Security Clearance (renewable).
Please Note: Please ensure the application clearly demonstrates how you meet the noted qualifications as applicants will be screened based on the information provided. The successful candidate will be the only individual receiving written notification of competition results. The “Notification of Successful Candidates” list posted on the Employment Opportunity board will serve to inform all other applicants of competition results.
Apply at: https://www.gov.pe.ca/jobspei/posting/government/external
Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 03/03/2021