Reporting to the legal team, the Property Paralegal is responsible for gathering, researching, validating, and confirming all necessary documentation for each client file specifically property purchase/sales or estate planning requirements.
Self-directed and sufficient, the Property Paralegal is to maintain a high level of diligence to be a reliable source of client information throughout the entire real estate/will estates transaction ensures consistency, compliance, and client satisfaction.
All paralegal practices are to meet established Nova Scotia legal compliances/requirements.
This is an essential role within the firm and represents both internal / external relationship management.
The successful candidate will be responsible for producing a large volume of client files that are consistent, complete and achieve a level accuracy for real estate purchase/sales as per internal processes and legal compliance.
An overview of the responsibilities is outlined below:
Preparation of Client Files:
• Accurately and completely prepare all required documentation for legal review, sign off.
Admin to include:
• Gather emails/faxes etc. from various sources to complete client file
• Action requested holdbacks,
• Collection/deposit of cheques and refunds
• Follow mortgage instructions
• Source location certificates
• Prepare releases
• Review files for signature and confirm completion to checklist and accuracy
• Review purchase & sale agreement
• Prepare, distribute closing packages
• Work with lawyers to complete pending purchase agreements and create closing checklists for all real estate sales
• Analyzing title documents
• Prepare file registrations, releases, and amendments
• Upload documentation and data into LLC software
• Prep files for audit
• Conduct research as requested by lawyers for client files
• Explain verbiage, codes, processes and legal jargon to clients and field questions in general
• Work with clients to complete files, obtain cheques, provide keys
• Liaise with mortgage brokers, insurance brokers as per request
• Prepare emails to clients, other lawyers, financial institutions as required/requested
• Receive and disburse funds
Education & Experience:
• Paralegal Certification required
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred, but not required.
• 2 – 7 years’ experience as a paralegal with a concentration on Real Estate Law – dependent on tenure of the paralegal required
• MS Office Suite and Office 365
• Proven track record of Extreme Organizational skills and systems
• Advanced communication skills across all mediums (phone, social media, email)
• Proven ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize
• Detailed focused
• Takes pride in anticipating needs and solving problems
• A keen self-starter who has a passion for order and success
• Work proactively and exceptional at time and task management
• Possesses proactive thinking to bring forward necessary issues to attorney for review
• A fun, flexible and adaptable person
• Extreme attention to detail
• Flexible/adaptable to contribute in a variety of ways for the success of the firm
• Solid business acumen and recognizes the importance in doing things with a sense of urgency
• Prides themselves on being positive, with a ‘will do’ attitude
• Recognizes the culture that exists in small, locally run businesses and thrives in it
• Salary plus vacation + benefits (50/50 co-pay)
• Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm
• Conveniently located in Burnside
Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 11/30/2023