CPLED IS A NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION THAT PROVIDES THE TRAINING NEEDED BEFORE BEING CALLED TO THE BARS OF ALBERTA, MANITOBA, NOVA SCOTIA AND SASKATCHEWAN.
Before becoming a lawyer, students must article and complete the Bar admission program, Practice Readiness Education Program (PREP).
HELP PREPARE THE LAWYERS OF TOMORROW – JOIN THE TEAM!
Meeting the requirements to be called to the Bars of Alberta, Manitoba, Nova Scotia and Saskatchewan takes a whole team of educators, lawyers, simulated clients, assessors and coaches.
Why should you join the PREP team as a paid member of our program?
– You’ll have an exciting position that allows you to give back to your professional community by helping to train the lawyers of tomorrow
– You may qualify for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) with your Law Society
– Choose opportunities that best fit your schedule
The Practice Manager is a lawyer who can commit to following a group of students (minimum of five) over a three-month period during which they complete their Virtual Law Firm practice rotations. The Practice Manager will perform two functions: assessing students’ practice management skills and acting as a coach/mentor.
In the assessment function, the Practice Manager will review the students’ practice management tasks (conflict checks, diary dates, etc.) to ensure they have been completed. CPLED uses Clio Legal Software for practice management.
As a coach and mentor, Practice Managers will review the results of students’ assessments from their Virtual Law Firm assignments and monitor students’ self-management skills (time-management, interpersonal communication, etc.). Practice Managers will conduct a thirty-minute video call with each student during each Virtual Law Firm rotation to answer questions, provide constructive feedback and advice, and help students to reflect on their performance and plan for continued competency development, focusing on areas of concern.
CPLED will train practice managers on the use of Clio Legal Software and the student assessment processes.
Qualifications and skills
– Required to devote 3 hours/student over 3 months
– Experienced in formal/informal mentoring of young lawyers
– Practised in Alberta, Manitoba, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut and/or Saskatchewan for a minimum of five years
Practice Managers will be compensated $225/student for all three 30-minute mentoring sessions throughout the Virtual Law Firm rotations.
Practice Managers will be required to attend an hour and a half online orientation session before they are eligible to meet with students. Please note that training will not be compensated but is a requirement for the position.
– Reliable high-speed internet connection
– A computer with a camera and microphone
If you are interested in applying for this role, complete the application form on our website.
Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 09/11/2020