Competition # : 41632 Department: Justice Location: HALIFAX
Type of Employment: Term
Union Status: Exclusion – Non Union – NSPG
Closing Date: 14-Feb-24 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
The Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner provides independent civilian oversight of the conduct of municipal police officers in Nova Scotia. It is an important position to ensure police accountability and transparency.
About Our Opportunity
Appointed by an Order in Council, the Police Complaints Commissioner shall perform the duties assigned by the Police Act, the Regulations, the Nova Scotia Minister of Justice, or the Governor in Council. Specific responsibilities include monitoring investigative timelines during the initial police agency investigation of a complaint, reviewing and investigating public complaints upon appeal by the complainant, mediating resolutions to complaints, and determining if complaints should be referred for a hearing before the Police Review Board. In addition, the position is responsible for the administration of the Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner.
Qualifications and Experience
The following qualifications are required:
• University degree with five years’ experience in a related field; a Law Degree will be considered an asset.
• Knowledge of the criminal justice system, due process, rule of law and socio-economic factors.
• Experience interpreting and applying legislation, developing policy and procedure and an understanding of administrative law and the concepts of fairness/natural justice.
• Senior leadership skills including the ability to listen and communicate clearly and effectively; experience making reasoned decisions and the ability to communicate them in a timely manner; well-developed mediation and dispute resolution skills; ability to be impartial and use sound judgement to fairly assess cases involving issues regarding conflicting verbal/written evidence.
• The ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
• Committed to respecting diversity, and to maintain fair, transparent processes that meet high professional standards.
The following qualifications are considered an asset:
• Experience in community related activities and a good reputation among peers.
• Previous experience on an administrative tribunal or board is preferred.
Based on the employment status and Union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs.
This is an Order in Council appointment and not a civil service position. The term would be for a period of three years. Current remuneration is $65 per hour (under review), plus reimbursement for reasonable expenses incurred in fulfilling the duties of the Police Complaints Commissioner. Some travel may be required. Any offer is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the Justice Minister.
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected].
Link to Job Posting: https://jobs.novascotia.ca/job-invite/41632/
Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 02/14/2024