Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society
Employment Opportunity: Summer Law Student Intern – Equity & Access Office
Location: Halifax, NS
The Society regulates the legal profession in Nova Scotia in the public interest.
We fulfil our public interest mandate by ensuring that lawyers are competent and ethical, and practice law in accordance with the standards set by the Society.
We are seeking one individual for the summer (up to 17 weeks, 35 hours/week). The position would be of interest to those currently enrolled in a Graduate level program in Law with preference given to Mi’kmaq, Indigenous and African Nova Scotian applicants.
The successful applicant will work with the Equity & Access Office assisting the Society to move forward on a number of strategic initiatives that support Access to Legal Services. Specifically, the Intern will:
- support a range of equity, diversity and inclusion related projects and initiatives.
- develop resources and tools for the Society that embed equity, diversity, inclusion, and human rights considerations in all aspects of the Society’s work.
- support the Society’s equity committees and assist with various education, awareness and learning opportunities that foster equity, diversity, inclusion, and cultural proficiency.
- Conduct complex research and data analysis to support the creation of policies, reports and presentations to enable action planning.
Desired skills and attributes:
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, including the ability to translate user needs into technical requirements
- Extensive research and writing experience
- Ability to analyze information and reach conclusions/make recommendations
- Project management skills
- Strong Interpersonal skills
- High level of attention to detail
- Ability to work independently with sound judgment
- Ability to manage competing priorities
- Experience working with confidential/sensitive information an asset
- Experience in a legal environment and familiarity with concepts and terminology an asset
- A high level of skill in the use of office automation software (Microsoft Office)
- Strong information technology skills, including familiarity with databases an asset
Submit your application (resume and cover letter) via email to email@example.com. This position will remain open until filled.
Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society values diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.