ABOUT THE LSC
Interested in being part of a team that is working on the largest and most complex transactions in the country? Opened in 2015 and based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the Torys Legal Services Centre (LSC) was designed to seamlessly enhance the value we provide our clients by providing all Torys offices with fully integrated and specialized expertise in essential corporate services.
Our bright, open concept office space allows for collaboration among team members. At the LSC, we are focused on working differently – this is your chance to be a part of cutting-edge legal process development and innovation hub.
Based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the Legal Specialist, Due Diligence will be a collaborative member of the due diligence review team. Working closely with a team of legal professionals at the LSC and other Torys’ offices, the Legal Specialist, Due Diligence will be responsible for:
• carrying out due diligence (review), including gathering, organizing, and reviewing relevant documents;
• liaising with deal teams and flagging material issues and follow-up requests;
• liaising with corporate law clerks/paralegals to conduct appropriate searches;
• preparing, assembling, maintaining and/or updating corporate searches, due diligence reports, trackers, summary charts and other deliverables; and
• working with LSC lawyers and Torys’ Practice Solutions team to improve due diligence project management and processes including the development of due diligence resources such as templates, guides and checklists and developing new processes/efficiencies.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate will:
• have 1-4 years of corporate and commercial experience, including extensive experience performing or managing due diligence work and be in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario or the Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society
• be highly organized, self-motivated and proactive; eager to take ownership of projects and able to advance work independently
• be team-oriented with exceptional interpersonal skills and a commitment to shared success working across offices and with a broad range of legal and administrative professionals
• have excellent problem-solving skills combined with attention to detail and thoroughness
• have strong written and oral communication skills
• be flexible when managing multiple projects and competing demands efficiently, and able to adapt to changing priorities and demanding deadlines
• have a strong work ethic, and be able to work flexible hours when required to meet client demands
• be competent in the use of Microsoft Office and other Microsoft applications
This is a non-partnership track long-term career role, ideal for a lawyer who prefers to focus on practising law. You will not have to devote time to marketing or client development. This position offers flexible working arrangements while still providing the opportunity to working on the largest, most sophisticated M&A transactions. We will provide the training you need to succeed in this role.
Torys LLP is a highly respected international business law firm with offices in Toronto, New York, Calgary, Montréal and Halifax. We focus on maintaining long-term relationships with Canadian and international clients who demand the best advice and service from their outside counsel. We believe that our continuing success over many years has come from adherence to our core values of excellence, client service, collaboration, long-term thinking and utmost professionalism and integrity. Dedication to professional excellence and outstanding client service is Torys’ hallmark. Of equal importance is our commitment to maintaining a collegial working environment – one that brings together individuals with diverse backgrounds, personalities and styles in an atmosphere of friendship and team spirit. As a Torys employee, you will enjoy both an exciting, fast-paced work environment and a supportive, collegial and team-based culture. At Torys, we take pride in our ability to attract and retain individuals who excel in their respective fields. We do this by providing stimulating work and learning and development opportunities, as well as a competitive compensation and benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should forward their resume in confidence to Kimberly Sheldrake-Head, Senior Manager, Professional Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At Torys we are committed to diversity in the recruitment, retention and advancement of our people. We believe that diversity of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives enhances the quality of our work and enriches our lives. We are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible work environment. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities. If you require immediate accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please contact Kim Sheldrake-Head.
Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 04/29/2021