Law clerks with the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal are primarily responsible for the following duties:
– Conducting detailed research and preparing memoranda of law, as requested by the Judges;
– Reviewing appeal materials in preparation for the hearing and, if requested, afterwards to summarize evidence and prepare memoranda of law;
– Observing the handling of cases in the Court of Appeal and developing an understanding of the process;
– Assisting the Chambers Judge and reviewing files before or after Chambers sessions, and providing research as may be required by the Chambers judge;
– Participating in office meetings and discussions with the Judges, both individually and in groups, as determined by the Judges;
– Involvement in the organization and coordination of special study projects on certain points of law; and
– Assisting in the preparation of materials for Judges’ seminars and related issues.
The salary for this position in 2019/20 was $61,163.70 for members of the Bar in one of the Provinces or Territories of Canada, and $36,000 for a law graduate not yet admitted as a member of the Bar. Clerks get 15 days paid vacation per annum and are eligible for sick leave benefits at the rate of 1.5 days per month for each month of service to a maximum of 18 days per year.
All applicants must have graduated from a recognized law school. Preference will be given to candidates who are admitted as a member of the Bar of a Province or Territory of Canada; however, all interested graduates are encouraged to apply. The ability to read and work in French is not essential but is considered an asset.
Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 04/06/2020