NOVA SCOTIA LEGAL AID COMMISSION
Available Position: 12-month contract with the potential for permanency
Location: Dartmouth Family– 1210-99 Wyse Road
Salary: TE 21- $52, 872.56 – $61,945.26
Closing Date: December 22, 2022, at 4:30 PM
Who we are:
Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission (NSLAC) delivers legal aid services throughout the Province, providing some level of help to all Nova Scotians with a focus on assisting those who are vulnerable and historically disadvantaged. NSLAC’s focus is in the practice areas of criminal, family and social justice law.
Reporting to the Managing Lawyer and under the direction of Staff Lawyers, the Family Paralegal provides comprehensive day to day administrative support with a broad range of knowledge relating to the functions, activities, policies and practices of the NSLAC. This position deals with a diverse group of internal and external clients at all levels and a commitment to client service is imperative. The primary responsibility of the Family Paralegal will be to assist all the staff lawyers in the Family office with representation of family law clients by collecting, preparing, organizing and processing legal documentation to prepare pleadings, motions, discoveries, pre-trial procedures and trials. Independent judgment is required to plan, prioritize and organize a diversified workload. The successful candidate must be reliable, flexible, people-oriented, patient, fast learning, quick thinking and illustrates initiative and responsibility.
Ideal Abilities and Skills:
• Ensures management of legal administrative related duties.
• Drafts correspondence, and assures timely preparation, accuracy and documentation of all Family Court and Family Division related documents including Orders, affidavits, financial statements, petitions, and other required forms.
• Ensures the management of all legal administrative related duties.
• Carries out comprehensive legal research.
• Maintains legal databases, which includes, coding, indexing and characterization of evidence and information, as well as searching and retrieving documents.
• Prepares, issues, and arranges for the service of Subpoenas & tracks status of cases through Court.
• Organizes file materials and exhibits for trials and case/pre-trial/settlement conferences and prepares files for closure by the lawyer.
• Assists in Court with taking notes and prepares rough drafts of Court Orders.
• Ensures accuracy and integrity of paper and electronic data.
• Ability to work independently, to take initiative, and to use judgment in matters of extreme confidentiality and sensitivity.
• Be able to work with clients who have complex needs and works independently in a fast-paced environment as well as part of a team.
• Compliance with NSLAC’s policies and procedures.
• Demonstrated time management and ability to deal with conflicting priorities and deadlines.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively.
• Experience and proficiency with computer software packages including legal research applications, MS Office and Outlook.
• All other duties as required
• Post-secondary 2-year diploma in Legal Administration or Paralegal with a minimum 6 years of relevant experience or an equivalency of a minimum 8 years of progressively responsible experience supporting a lawyer in their practice.
• Commissioner of Oaths or will have ability to meet this requirement within 90 days of commencing employment with NSLA.
Please note: For the safety and well-being of our clients and employees, we require proof of COVID-19 vaccination before commencing employment. Accommodations will be made for those exempt from the COVID-19 vaccination based on grounds protected by relevant human rights law.
Our goal is to be a diverse and accessible workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. We encourage qualified individuals from historically disadvantaged groups, including Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons, persons with disabilities, retirees and women in positions where they are underrepresented. Applicants from these groups wishing to self-identify may do so on their cover letter or resume.
If you are talented, hardworking and want to be a member of a team that is highly experienced, very caring, dedicated and committed to their clients, we would like to hear from you.
Please indicate position title, office location and whether you are an internal or external applicant in the posting in the email subject line. Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected]
While we appreciate receiving all applications, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications will be held in strict confidence.
Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 12/22/2022