The Canadian Centre for Professional Legal Education (CPLED) is a non–profit organization that offers the Bar admission program in Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia. To be called to the Bar, students must article and complete CPLED’s Bar admission program, Practice Readiness Education Program (PREP).
CPLED is dedicated to helping students hone their practical skills and assesses how well they are able to apply their legal knowledge and skills in everyday situations. This helps ensure new lawyers are well-equipped to meet the demands of the workplace. CPLED maintains a high standard of programs and services for students to ensure a strong transition into the legal profession.
The Education Counsel, Instructional Design is a key member of the Education team and creates and delivers various PREP content for Students, Assessors, Facilitators, Practice Managers and Simulated Clients.
Success in this position requires creative thinking, planning and problem-solving skills, strong research, analysis and evaluation skills and well-developed communication and conflict management skills.
• Design, and develop Capstone assessments for the PREP;
• Ensure program content maintains relevance through ongoing research and monitoring of changes/developments in the law and make revisions of PREP content as required;
• Design, and develop new course material such as virtual firm simulations, foundations workshops content and modules. Ensure content maintains the PREP requirements and meets learning objectives;
• Create and adapt PREP content to ensure students’ needs meet PREP requirements and that training is delivered effectively in an enjoyable engaging way;
• Revise, design, and develop training materials for Assessors, Facilitators, Practice Managers and Simulated Clients;
• Facilitate and provide instruction with the delivery of PREP and online training to Assessors, Facilitators, Practice Managers and Simulated Clients;
• Assist in review of student work including assessment;
• Assist in delivery of feedback and preparation of unsuccessful Capstone participants for future Capstone sittings;
• Assist in the delivery of collaborative, practical, relevant training creating the optimum adult learning environment based on adult learning theory.
• Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices and ensure that
one’s own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and
aligns with the values of the organization.
• Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner
using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
• Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve the organization.
• Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve
problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
• Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and
• Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process
relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or
resolve the problem.
• Timeliness: Commit to a deadline and meet those deadlines in a timely manner
• Compassion: Treat internal and external customers with dignity and compassion and
work with customers to find solutions within the guidelines of CPLED’s policies.
• Post- secondary education and law degree required with 5+ years of progressively
responsible post call experience.
• Practice experience in the areas of family law, criminal law, business law.
• Experience managing a legal practice is preferred.
• Certificate in Adult Education or equivalent work experience (or agreement to take
• Project management experience is an asset.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally
with a diverse group of stakeholders.
• Technically strong computer skills, such as Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel,
• Prior experience with D2L and creating assessments is considered an asset.
• Collaboration skills, with an ability to work with all individuals and groups.
• Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines under pressure.
• The head office is in Calgary and some travel is required if the successful candidate resides out of the city. Working remotely along with some travel is an option that will be considered.
The Canadian Centre for Professional Legal Education (CPLED) is partnering with the
Law Society of Alberta on this search. Interested candidates should visit
https://www.lawsociety.ab.ca/public/careers/ to apply.
CPLED thanks all applicants, however only selected candidates will be contacted. CPLED
values diversity in its workforce and equal access to opportunity. All inquiries and
applications will be handled with the highest level of confidentiality.
Link to Job Posting: https://www.lawsociety.ab.ca/public/careers/
Job Deadline/Expiry Date: 03/31/2021