- The Gender Equity Committee supports Council in the governance of the Society by monitoring and providing advice about matters that address issues of gender in the legal profession.
- Review, assess and propose to Council methods of implementing, where feasible, recommendations relating to gender equity in the legal profession;
- Monitor the Society’s programs for women in the legal profession, and support delivery by staff as directed by Council or requested by staff;
- Identify barriers to and facilitate active involvement of women lawyers in the volunteer functions of the Society and on Council and its Committees;
- Promote, for Council and members of the Society, awareness of gender equity issues in the legal profession and in relation to access to justice in Nova Scotia;
- Develop and recommend to Council:
- Policies for the promotion of gender equity in the legal profession in Nova Scotia for adoption by Council
- Methods to facilitate entry and retention of women in the Nova Scotia legal profession
- Programs and initiatives addressing gender equity in the legal profession and access to justice in Nova Scotia.