Filing a complaint

Complaints Intake Line902 422 1491

If you would like to discuss your situation before filing a complaint, call the Society at 902 422 1491 and ask for an intake officer. Your call will be transferred to the Complaints Intake Line. Leave a detailed message with your full name, phone number and a description of your concerns. An intake officer in the Professional Responsibility department will return your call within two to three business days.

If you choose to pursue a complaint, all complaints must be in writing. You can write a letter outlining the details of your complaint, or fill out a Complaint Form. To obtain the form, print a copy from the website. If you would prefer to have a complaint form sent to you by mail, please leave a message on the Complaints Intake Line with your full name and complete mailing address.

When filling out the Complaint Form, be sure to include:

  • your name, address and telephone number;
  • the name, law firm name and address of the lawyer; and
  • copies (not originals) of any letters or documents that support your complaint.

Send the completed Complaint Form to:

Director of Professional Responsibility
Cogswell Tower
800–2000 Barrington Street
Halifax, NS  B3J 3K1

The Society will respond promptly to general inquiries via email, but will not accept complaints that are filed electronically. They must be provided in writing by mail, fax (902 429 4869) or delivery, either in a letter or a Complaint Form. Also feel free to print our Resolution Process for Complaints summary for quick reference.