Workshop Effective Harassment Investigations: A step-by-step guide to conducting investigations
With recent high profile reports describing botched harassment investigations, ensuring that they are correctly carried out is more important than ever. Even persons who don't conduct investigations themselves need to understand how a fair investigation is conducted, when an outside investigator should be retained, and in which ways to ensure that they are providing adequate disclosure while at the same time safeguarding confidential information as much as possible. In this interactive workshop, an experienced arbitrator and legal counsel will provide a step-by-step guide to effective harassment investigations and lead participants through realistic scenarios, providing them with the knowledge necessary to:
- Ensure the investigation complies with legal requirements.
- Select an appropriate investigator.
- Develop suitable safeguards to maintain confidentiality.
- Understand the union's role in the investigation.
- Disclose appropriate information relating to the complaint and the results of the investigation.
- Establish fair and effective processes for questioning witnesses and the parties involved.