2018 Isaac Pitblado Lectures - Reimagining Justice: Trust, Truths and Transformation(s)
2018 Isaac Pitblado Lectures: Reimagining Justice: Trust, Truths and Transformation(s)
November 2, 2018 – 8:30 am to 4:45 pm
Fort Garry Place, Grand Ballroom, Winnipeg
Early Bird Registration ends September 28, 2018
Registration closes October 24, 2018
This year’s Pitblado Lectures will shine a spotlight on the topic of the administration of justice. The Canadian justice system is rooted in the concept of fairness for all, yet in the wake of some recent high profile cases, many Canadians expressed a lack of trust in the system’s ability to deliver justice.
Public Needs - What does the public need or want from its justice system? Whose justice is it?
Bad Publicity? - Is the system working but it just needs a better P.R. agent?
The Media - What role do the media play in the public perception of justice? Do they reflect or distort what really happens?
Transformative Change - What can or should lawyers, judges, and legal educators do about the administration of justice?
The 2018 Lectures will challenge you to reimagine justice by speakers who will address the truths about what exists, examine how to create trust in our communities and share their ideas for change and their experiences with real life transformations.
This year’s Organizing Committee is pleased to have award-winning author, investigative journalist and retired co-host of CBC’s The Fifth Estate Linden MacIntyre join us as one of those experts.
Other Speakers Include
- Felix Walker, Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation (NCN), Family & Community Wellness Centre, CEO
- Dr. Trevor C.W. Farrow, Professor and Associate Dean (Academic), Osgoode Hall Law School
- Chief Justice Glenn Joyal, Manitoba Court of Queen’s Bench
- Victoria Espey, Chair, The Hub Table
- James Favel, Executive Director, Bear Clan Patrol
- Trevor Anderson, Senior Scholar, University of Manitoba, Faculty of Law