Accommodating Mental and Physical Disabilities in the Workplace
Moncton, New Brunswick Delta Beauséjour
Friday, June 17, 2016, 8:45 am - 4:30 pm
Accommodating employees with mental and physical disabilities is a critical issue in the modern workplace. Both unions and employers must be equipped to navigate the challenges that arise in assessing and implementing workplace accommodation. In this interactive session, experts will take participants through a step-by-step tutorial designed to enable workplace parties to respond to requests for accommodation in a timely, consistent, and effective manner.
- Andrew Tremayne, Arbitrator/Mediator
Skills Training Schedule
7:45 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.
BREAKFAST AND REGISTRATION
8:45 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
Assessing Requests for Accommodation
- Triggering the duty to accommodate
- Making appropriate inquiries into an employee's need for accommodation
- Assessing medical information from employees
- Requesting medical information to support an accommodation while respecting employee privacy
9:45 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
Investigating and Implementing Accommodations
- Review of Lancaster House's Roadmap on Accommodation
- Investigating possible accommodations in the workplace
- Considering accommodations outside an employee's classification or bargaining unit
- Addressing employee seniority rights
- Bundling job duties in the accommodation process
- Understanding the union’s role in investigating possible accommodations
- Considering the employee's role in the accommodation process
- Tips and best practices for return-to-work committees that deal with accommodation requests
- Understanding the distinction between permanent versus temporary requests for accommodation
10:15 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
Evaluating Occupational Requirements and Undue Hardship
- What is a bona fide occupational requirement?
- Identifying the essential duties of a job
- Considering the seniority rights of other employees
- Factoring in cost and health and safety considerations
- Dealing with relapses of employees with substance use disorders
- Defining what is considered an undue hardship
11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Medical Insights in the Accommodation Process
- Understanding the proper role of the medical practitioner in the accommodation process, and the type of medical information a physician should provide
- Communicating effectively with medical professionals to get the information you need
- Standard recovery times for certain types of illnesses
- Promoting compliance with an employee's treatment plan
- Preventative measures
12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
1:30 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
Interactive Session Scenario #1
- Participants will work in small groups to review the fact scenarios and develop answers to the questions posed. Discussion will be facilitated by workshop leaders.
2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
AFTERNOON BREAK3:00 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.Interactive Session Scenario #2
- Participants will again work in small groups to review the fact scenarios and develop answers to the questions posed. Discussion will be facilitated by workshop leaders.
4:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Final Remarks & Questions