Society Job Opportunity: Equity & Access Advisor
Employer: NOVA SCOTIA BARRISTERS' SOCIETY (NSBS)
Position: Equity & Access Advisor
Position Type: One-Year (1) Term, Full-time
Job Location: Halifax, NS
The Nova Scotia Barristers' Society (NSBS) regulates the legal profession in Nova Scotia in the public interest. We fulfil our public interest mandate by ensuring that lawyers are competent and ethical, and practice law in accordance with the standards set by the Society
Reporting to the Manager of Equity & Access, the Advisor supports the advancement of equity, diversity, and inclusion principles and practices as well as cultural proficiency within the legal profession, among Society staff and volunteers and within the justice system, in general.
The Advisor also supports access to legal services projects and initiatives for equity seeking groups through the development and implementation of the Society's broad strategic goals. The Advisor seeks to foster community, member and employee engagement by providing best practice advice, conducting research, analysis and evaluation on the effectiveness of programs, initiatives and services, and supporting the creation of innovative tools, techniques and approaches that educate and build awareness in cultural proficiency.
* Provide subject matter expertise and support a range of equity, diversity and inclusion related projects and initiatives;
* Develop relationships/partnerships and resources/tools for the Society that embed equity, diversity, inclusion and human rights considerations in all aspects of the Society's work;
* Collaborate and support the Society's various equity committees and enhance tools, resources and learning offerings;
* Coordinate events and activities that foster equity, diversity, inclusion and cultural proficiency;
* Conduct complex data analysis and create reports/presentations to enable internal and external consultations and action planning;
* Monitor current social, economic and political trends and issues including government legislative proposals and Council directives that impact on the inclusion of equity seeking groups and vulnerable populations and leverages findings to inform policies and reports;
* Build, maintain and leverage networks with government, community agencies and groups, educational institutions and other stakeholders and strategic partners as appropriate.
Requirements, Skills and Assets:
* Post-secondary education in a discipline relevant to the job function;
* Minimum 3 years of experience directly related to the development and implementation of equity and diversity policies and programs, as well as direct experience in client support and delivering diversity training programs;
* An equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Considerable experience with equity and diversity policies, practices and/or laws and related change strategies and mechanisms;
* Considerable experience in the development and implementation of equity, diversity and inclusion-related programs and initiatives, preferably within the non-profit and/or in the public sector;
* Experience in program planning, project management and report writing;
* Experience developing and implementing educational strategies using an equity lens and adult education principles;
* Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint;
* Ability to collect, organize, test and analyze complex information with attention to detail and accuracy;
* Demonstrated ability to operate as a highly organized, and fully accountable team member;
* Highly developed interpersonal skills and sound judgment, paired with strong conflict resolution skills;
* Strong verbal and written communication skills.
* Lived experience as a member of an equity-seeking group;
* Cultural competency training;
* Experience working in a legal environment and/or a regulated profession;
* Training in conflict resolution and/or restorative approaches to justice;
Closing date: This posting will remain open until the position is filled.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Sharon Cox at firstname.lastname@example.org or 902.377.6329 or submit your application (including resume and cover letter) via email to email@example.com.
We offer a competitive salary based on experience and qualifications and a full benefit package as well as a retirement savings program.
NSBS values diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from all employment equity groups. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Friday, October 18, 2019