CORPORATE ASSOCIATE, HALIFAX, TORYS LSC
We are seeking a corporate lawyer to join the Torys Legal Services Centre (LSC) in Halifax, Nova Scotia. In this role, you will primarily take part in due diligence for corporate transactions and reorganizations, review non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) for key clients, revising them to meet the clients’ requirements, and negotiating with counterparty’s counsel. You will work as part of a team with colleagues in Halifax and Toronto to carry out this work quickly and accurately in accordance with established policies and procedures. This work offers the successful candidate an opportunity to engage in challenging, important work in a flexible and collaborative setting.
In this role, you will primarily take part in reorganizations, due diligence for corporate transactions, and review non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) for key clients, revising them to meet the clients’ requirements, and negotiating with counterparty’s counsel.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Corporate law experience at a top law firm, financial institution, private equity firm or pension fund, including exposure to reviewing, revising and/or negotiating straightforward corporate or commercial contracts.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent judgment, a high degree of professionalism, excellent interpersonal skills and a willingness to work collaboratively with client personnel and constructively with counterparty’s counsel
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines while working in a fast paced environment
- Ability to deal easily with ambiguity and change, including changing priorities, timelines and processes and contribute to process improvement initiatives
- Member in good standing of a provincial bar and willing to be called to the Ontario bar
Torys LLP is a highly respected international business law firm with offices in Toronto, New York, Calgary, Montréal and Halifax. We focus on maintaining long-term relationships with Canadian and international clients who demand the best advice and service from their outside counsel. We believe that our continuing success over many years has come from adherence to our core values of excellence, client service, collaboration, long-term thinking and utmost professionalism and integrity. Dedication to professional excellence and outstanding client service is Torys’ hallmark. Of equal importance is our commitment to maintaining a collegial working environment – one that brings together individuals with diverse backgrounds, personalities and styles in an atmosphere of friendship and team spirit. As a Torys employee, you will enjoy both an exciting, fast-paced work environment and a supportive, collegial and team-based culture. At Torys, we take pride in our ability to attract and retain individuals who excel in their respective fields. We do this by providing stimulating work and learning and development opportunities, as well as a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the Torys Legal Services Centre is designed to enhance the value Torys provides to its clients by meeting more of their important legal needs. The LSC supports lawyers across Torys offices with fully integrated and specialized expertise in essential corporate services. Work conducted by the LSC is integrated seamlessly into our client relationships. The LSC’s legal and paralegal professionals represent a broad range of law firm and in-house experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should forward their resume in confidence to Kimberly Sheldrake-Head at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At Torys we are committed to diversity in the recruitment, retention and advancement of our people. We believe that diversity of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives enhances the quality of our work and enriches our lives. We are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible work environment. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities. If you require immediate accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please contact Kimberly Sheldrake-Head, Senior Manager, Professional Resources.