Intellectual Property Paralegal
Intellectual Property Paralegal
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company’s primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defence and has been chosen to build 15 Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) vessels for the Royal Canadian Navy under the National Shipbuilding Strategy (NSS) (CSC Project).
The Intellectual Property Paralegal role is a full-time position.Reporting to the Vice-President and General Counsel, the Intellectual Property Paralegal will work alongside the Intellectual Property Counsel and be responsible for a broad range of paralegal and administrative duties relating to the intellectual property aspects of the CSC Project.
• Provide effective general paralegal and administrative support for the Intellectual Property Counsel (and Legal Department, when required).
• Responsible for the management and control of all legal files and data utilizing electronic document and database management systems in relation to the intellectual property aspects of the CSC Project including following up on contract and project requirements within applicable deadlines as required.
• Serve as a liaison between the Intellectual Property Counsel and external parties and internal departments, in a professional manner with diplomacy.
• Research and analyzes statutes and case law.
• Prepare a broad range of legal documents, general and confidential correspondence, including email and faxes.
• Maintain accurate and current calendar of activities, meetings and schedule of various events for the Intellectual Property Counsel. Qualifications:
• Ability to prioritize tasks and work in a fast paced environment while adhering to deadlines.
• Strong attention to detail, proven administrative skills, and excellent communications skills, both written and oral.
• At least five (5) years previous legal administrative experience.
• Experience in and knowledge of intellectual property law would be beneficial but is not essential.
• Keen intellect and ability to learn is more important.
• Post-secondary education, preference given to formal paralegal training.
• Experience with Microsoft Office products is essential.
• Previous experience with legal software packages and database management is preferred.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form at http://r.rfer.us/JDIIvC4IF. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required. All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters.
If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.