Supervising Senior Crown Attorney
LFS Supervising Legal Counsel
Manitoba Prosecutions, Crown Law
Advertisement Number: 34108
Salary(s): LFS $130,727.00 - $155,844.00 per year Plus Remoteness Allowance, if applicable.
Closing Date: June 22, 2018
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
The Supervising Senior Crown Attorney will be responsible for assisting in managing the Thompson Regional Office of Manitoba Prosecutions.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Eligible for membership or membership (in good standing) with the Law Society of Manitoba
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Search, Adult Abuse Registry Check & Child Abuse Registry Check
- Enhanced Security Screening
- Evening and weekend work as required
- Ability to travel by road and air, including overnight stays
- Excellent understanding of the role of the Crown
- Significant litigation experience in the practise of criminal law
- Proven leadership and self-management
- Organizational abilities dealing with caseload management
- Proven judgement and decision-making abilities
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Commitment to promote a respectful workplace environment, including the ability to act with discretion and sensitivity
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent written communication skills
- Supervisory experience and training
Reporting to the Director, Regional Prosecutions, the Supervising Senior Crown is responsible for assisting in the overall management of the Thompson Regional Office and assigned circuits. The successful applicant will be a member of the Regional Prosecutions Management Committee and consult with the other Regional SSCs as necessary to effect consistent application of procedures and protocols. The day-to-day supervision of legal staff will include case assignments, scheduling, performance
assessments, career planning, professional development, and ensuring a respectful workplace environment.
The incumbent will be responsible for ensuring that Crown Case Management principles are followed to ensure effective and efficient handling of all matters from bail court to appeal within the Unit. S/he is also responsible for developing protocols and procedures as necessary to address any issues that may arise in relation to Case Management. The SSC will be required to liaise with other Departmental personnel as necessary in reference to regional issues as well as policing agencies. There is the potential
for other committee work, involvement in special issues/projects as assigned by the Director or SMP and responsibility for specific legal issues. A caseload will be assigned that may include docket assignments and trial cases, while reflecting the need to balance supervisory and casework duties.
Advertisement # 34108
Civil Service Commission
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg, MB, R3C 0C4
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.