TD Insurance lawyer
TD Insurance Staff Legal is expanding its Halifax Legal Office and adding to its current compliment of over 50 lawyers nationwide. Reporting to the AVP Claims Litigation & SIU, the lawyer will handle assigned P&C insurance legal matters and represent TD Insurance or its policyholders in civil litigation matters involving claims for damages related to personal injury and property claims.
- Uses Litigation Protocols to develop and revise appropriate legal strategy for discovery, investigation, and trial/hearing of cases; advises, communicates and develops litigation strategies with TD Insurance Claims Representatives and insured clients, as appropriate.
- Conducts appropriate discovery, and with appropriate senior counsel supervision conducts hearings, trials, oral arguments, mediations, arbitrations and similar proceedings. Researches the law applicable to cases. Drafts legal documents, pleadings, motions, legal factums and opinions as required. Conducts settlement negotiations, as directed.
- Advises, communicates and confers with Claims Representatives and insured clients rendering clear, well-researched and unambiguous legal opinions and advice. Personally meets with, and maintains good relations and communications with Claims Representatives and insured clients as required.
- Remains current with developments in the law, and understands medical, scientific, construction, products, engineering or similar issues and defences involved with P&C cases.
- Meets with TD Insurance personnel to provide updates on developments in jurisprudence and legislation.
- Completion of law school with LLB or JD, and admission to the bar in Nova Scotia or eligible for admission to the bar in Nova Scotia.
- Two or more years post-call experience, preferably in litigation and /or insurance defence.
- Some courtroom experience.
- Knowledge of legal and court documents and procedures.
- Knowledge of standard office equipment and word processing.
- Excellent oral and written advocacy and communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with policyholders, claims personnel and judges/adjudicators.
- Motivated self-starter with capability to work productively and independently under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal and client service skills, and professional and positive demeanour.
- Superior organizational and priority-setting skills, strong work ethic and ability to multi-task productively.
- Conceptual and creative problem solving skills.
Additional Information Flexible work schedules available. We thank all interested parties but not all applicants will be contacted for interviews.
Inclusiveness At TD, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities in which we live and serve. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment/interview process (including alternate formats of materials, or accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
If you are Interested In this opportunity please apply directly through the TD Opportunities website https://jobs.td.com/en-CA/jobs/7975479/insurance-lawyer-halifax-ca/
Please also feel free to contact Thomas Hudak directly (Claims Litigation & SIU I TD Insurance) Thomas.Hudak@td.com