Insurance Litigation Lawyer
TD Insurance is part of TD Bank Group, one of Canada’s largest financial institutions. TD Insurance helps protect clients from the ‘accidents of life’ with a wide range of products including credit protection, life, health, travel, home and auto insurance. With more than three million clients, TD Insurance authorized products and services are available online, over the phone, and through a network of more than 1,000 TD Canada Trust branches.In Canada, we have two lines of business, General Insurance and Life and Health. Our General Insurance business is one of the top home and auto insurance groups in Canada and the national leader in group insurance and affinity marketing. Our Life and Health business is the number one provider of critical illness insurance and direct life and health insurance in Canada.At TD Insurance, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment. With a Canada-wide workforce of over 4,000 employees and offices in Atlantic Canada, Quebec, Ontario and Alberta, our company is always growing and can help you to grow. TD Insurance offers a stable and dynamic work environment where talent is appreciated and professional development is taken seriously. More than just a job, we offer rewarding careers.
TD Insurance Staff Legal is adding a lawyer in Halifax to its current compliment of over 50 lawyers nationwide. Reporting to the AVP Claims Litigation & Special Investigation Unit, the lawyer will handle assigned Property & Casualty insurance legal matters and represent TD Insurance or its policyholders in civil litigation matters involving claims for damages related to personal injury and property claims.
- Uses Litigation Protocols to develop and revise appropriate legal strategy for discovery, investigation, and trial/hearing of cases; advises, communicates and develops litigation strategies with TD Insurance Claims Representatives and insured clients, as appropriate
- Conducts necessary and appropriate discovery, hearings, trials, oral arguments, mediations, arbitrations and similar proceedings. Researches the law applicable to cases. Drafts legal documents, pleadings, motions, legal factums and opinions as required. Conducts settlement negotiations, as directed.
- Advises, communicates and confers with Claims Representatives and insured clients rendering clear, well-researched and unambiguous legal opinions and advice. Personally meets with, and maintains good relations and communications with Claims Representatives and insured clients as required.
- Remains current with developments in the law, and understands medical, scientific, construction, products, engineering or similar issues and defences involved with P&C cases.
- Meets with TD Insurance personnel to provide updates on developments in jurisprudence and legislation.
Completion of law school with LLB or JD and current admission to the bar in Nova Scotia as a practicing lawyer.
- At least 7 years post-call experience as a lawyer, with the majority of that experience obtained in Nova Scotia.
- Extensive experience in insurance litigation, including personal injury and property claims.
- Significant courtroom experience including trial experience.
- Knowledge of legal and court documents and procedures
- Knowledge of standard office equipment and word processing.
- Excellent oral and written advocacy and communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with policyholders, claims personnel and judges/adjudicators.
- Motivated self-starter with capability to work productively and independently under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal and client service skills, and professional and positive demeanour.
- Superior organizational and priority-setting skills, strong work ethic and ability to multi-task productively.
- Conceptual and creative problem solving skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively in French, in addition to English, considered an asset.
** Submit your candidacy via link: https://jobs.td.com/en-CA/jobs/7975479/insurance-lawyer-halifax-ca/
Reference # 185063BR
Contact: Thomas Hudak, AVP Litigation firstname.lastname@example.org