Legal Assistant Required - Collections
We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated and motivated staff.
We are currently looking for a Legal Assistant to join our Litigation Group in our downtown Halifax office. The primary task of the Collections Assistant is to assist in debt collection and foreclosure work (recovery of outstanding balances and/or assets of prejudgment and post-judgment creditor clients). Work schedule is Monday to Friday with standard work hours of 34.5 per week. Some flexibility required and ability to work overtime during busy periods.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Drafting correspondence and preparing legal documents including court pleadings, orders, briefs, affidavits in support, correspondence and all related documents;
- Liaise closely with courts, lawyers and clients;
- Regular communication and contact with process servers, sheriffs, property managers, insurance companies, financial institutions and internal team members;
- Regular review and updating of files for critical filing and service deadlines;
- Arranging for service of documents;
- Regular communication with clients and lawyers to provide status updates;
- Perform administrative tasks and clerical duties as required.
- Graduate of a Legal Assistant or Paralegal diploma program, or equivalent work experience;
- Minimum 4+ years’ experience in litigation; experience in foreclosure and collections is preferred;
- Ability to communicate in person, on the phone or via e-mail/correspondence with clients, debtors, other professionals. Able to conduct oneself with tact and professionalism at all levels;
- Exceptional English language, grammar and spelling skills;
- Critical thinking skills, ability to problems solve, professionalism;
- Exceptional attention to detail, well-organized, able to prioritize and demonstrate a strong work ethic;
- Exceptional Word and Outlook skills, competent with computers and able to adapt to software systems
- Good file management, scheduling, billing, accounts receivable and database management.
- Can be trusted to handle extremely confidential and sensitive information.
If you are interested and meet the requirements of this position, please apply with resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Truro, New Glasgow and Halifax and with clients whose interests range from global to purely local. Our more than 100 lawyers and staff are dedicated to meeting our clients’ diverse legal needs. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated and motivated staff.
We are pleased to offer our staff a competitive salary, group insurance coverage, and pension plan membership after a year.
Patterson Law hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to employment equity and welcome diversity. Applications are encouraged from all interested and qualified individuals.