Legal Assistant, Family Law
Patterson Law has an immediate opening for an experienced Legal Assistant to provide legal & administrative support to the lawyers in the Truro Family Law Group.
Location: Truro Office – 10 Church Street
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Support – Provide legal and administrative support to designated lawyers (2)
- General Accountabilities – Personal liaison with client when appropriate; Liaising with external lawyers and others when appropriate; Booking court dates, discoveries, and communicate with courts/registries; Scheduling and arranging meetings, conferences, seminars, lunches, dinners, travel, etc. when required; Coordination and editing of lawyers’ draft statements; Maintenance and submission of time as appropriate; Dealing with lawyers’ unapplied time reports; Attend to coordination and preparation of bulk mailings to clients and reporting documentation, when directed by the lawyers; Assist lawyers with non-firm activities (e.g. political, community, charitable, etc.).
- Mail – Open and date stamp mail, and route to the appropriate lawyers; Preparation of signed letters for mailing and ensuring all enclosures are included
- Transcription – All word processing requirements
- Records Management – Filing, custody, organization of files and ongoing maintenance of files in accordance with group procedures and manuals; Closing of files, culling, shredding, preparation for filming/scanning; General housekeeping with regard to personal workstation and common areas within the office
- Telephone Communications – Messages; Arranging appointments, conference calls; Client inquiries; Client liaison re ensuring calls are returned; Advising Reception of whereabouts
- Correspondence – Preparation of standard form letters; composing draft letters of a routine and more complex nature
- Documentation – Preparation of standard precedent documents; Organize, assemble, and draft motion documents, notices of action, affidavits, trial and appeal books; Familiarity with the Firm’s precedent indices; Drafting documents of a routine and more complex nature
- Other – Additional duties as assigned based on the Firm’s requirements
- Successful completion of Paralegal diploma or equivalent
- At least 3 years of experience as a Legal Assistant
- Knowledge in the area of Family Law is required
- Highly detailed-oriented and impeccably organized
- Ability to effectively prioritize, track, and follow-up on outstanding items with all parties involved including the lawyers, colleagues, and clients
- Accurately follows instructions and asks questions to clarify requirements & ensure work is done properly
- Strong judgment with comfort to act independently and anticipate lawyers’ needs
- Excellent proofreading, spelling, and grammar skills
- Strong keyboarding and transcription skills and an affinity to learn new technology
- Energetic, flexible, and willing to pitch in wherever necessary
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
If you are interested and meet the requirements of this position, please apply with resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Truro, New Glasgow and Halifax and with clients whose interests range from global to purely local. Our more than 100 lawyers and staff are dedicated to meeting our clients’ diverse legal needs. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated and motivated staff.
We are pleased to offer our staff a competitive salary, group insurance coverage, and pension plan membership after a year.
Patterson Law hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to employment equity and welcome diversity. Applications are encouraged from all interested and qualified individuals.