Corporate Commercial Securities Lawyer – Yellowknife
McLennan Ross LLP has an immediate opening for a Corporate Commercial Securities Lawyer to join our busy Yellowknife office.
McLennan Ross LLP has been recognized as a leading firm in the area of General Business law for Northern Canada and the Arctic by Chambers Canada, with acknowledgment of our “impressive Yellowknife offering, backed by additional expertise in Edmonton and Calgary, and recognized for its commitment to the North
We are a well-established law firm committed to serving the legal needs of Albertans and Northerners and have been rated by Canadian Lawyer magazine as one of the top ten regional law firms in Western Canada. Founded over 100 years ago, McLennan Ross LLP has grown today to more than 100 lawyers and an extensive support staff, with offices in Edmonton, Calgary and Yellowknife.
What separates McLennan Ross from other law firms is our ability to see "beyond the law" - recognizing and appreciating how legal difficulties can significantly impact a client's life and their business. Strategic thinking, grounded in a solid understanding of the realities of the business world and basic common sense, is a hallmark of McLennan Ross.
For more details about our firm and our Yellowknife office, visit www.mross.com
Our Yellowknife Corporate Commercial Securities group provides legal advice to a large number of clients in the municipal, mining, transportation, government, aboriginal and not-for profit sectors, as well as to individuals and small businesses in the NWT and in Nunavut.
You will be working collaboratively and seamlessly with colleagues in Yellowknife and in our Alberta offices.
In our small office, we will give you as much responsibility as you are prepared to take on, as quickly as you are ready to take it on. You will be given the opportunity to take on more responsibilities at an earlier stage in your career than might be the case in other larger markets.
These responsibilities include:
- Providing corporate advice in a variety of areas including:
- Sales of assets and shares
- Winding-up proceedings
- Drafting shareholder and partnership agreements
- Purchases and sales of commercial and residential real estate
- Acting for Lenders and Borrowers in secured transactions
- Providing advice to municipal councils
- Working with commercial landlords and tenants
- Providing security opinions
Our ideal candidate:
- Is highly motivated, self-directed and able to juggle multiple priorities efficiently
- Demonstrates the ability to work well independently with confidence under time constraints
- Is a strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with the rest of our office and our colleagues in other offices
- Has excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates the ability to work in cross cultural environments
- Brings exceptional ethics and integrity to the role
- Maintains professionalism, confidentiality and discretion at all times
- Articulates legal information clearly and practically to our clients
- Possesses strong legal research skills and computer literacy
- Is able and willing to travel to and work in communities throughout Canada’s North
Key Qualifications and Education
- Successful completion of Bachelor of Laws Degree/Juris Doctor
- Demonstrated corporate/commercial law experience
- Must be eligible for admission into the Law Society of Northwest Territories and the Law Society of Nunavut
What you will find at McLennan Ross:
- A highly professional environment that is built on a strong culture and spirit of teamwork
- Opportunities for growth, engaging work environment and lively social/staff committee
- A proven high quality of service and commitment to our clients and each other
Qualified and talented candidates may submit their resume and cover letter including career highlights that demonstrate a strong fit to our requirements to: