Wills & Estates/Probate Paralegal Opportunity
We are seeking an experienced Wills & Estates/Probate Paralegal at our Truro location, 10 Church Street. This is a temporary full-time position. Standard work hours are 34.5 per week. Some flexibility and occasional overtime may be required.
The successful candidate will complete routine wills & estates/probate work under the supervision of the lawyers for our Truro office. As a professional and knowledgeable resource, the Wills & Estates/Probate Paralegal will provide clients with timely and accurate service.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Preparation and management of Probate files
- Preparation of Wills, Living Wills, and Powers of Attorney
- Arranging for transfer or redemption of securities and transfer of assets
- Under the supervision of a lawyer, exercise independent judgment and resourcefulness in the resolution of problems which may involve the gathering, coordination, verification and compilation of documents and information and solve problems independently
- Maintain up-to-date time records
- Follow-up on files to ensure timely responses
- Monitor for file activity on a periodic basis ensure the supervising lawyer is provided with ongoing status of progress
- Liaise with Assistants and other support staff to ensure strong communication and consistency in file management and client contact
- Successful completion of Paralegal diploma or equivalent
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a similar role
- Strong knowledge of Wills & Estates/Probate law is essential
- Work under minimal supervision, with the ability to exercise reliable judgment in seeking additional lawyer direction as required
- Ability to work to time sensitive deadlines, multitask and prioritize of deadlines
- Organized, highly detail-oriented, analytical, and able to effectively prioritize
- Ability to communicate effectively (oral and written) with lawyers, clients, and external organizations with a view to the accurate interpretation of instructions and requirements
If you are interested and meet the requirements of this position, please apply right away with resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Truro, New Glasgow and Halifax and with clients whose interests range from global to purely local. Our more than 100 lawyers and staff are dedicated to meeting our clients’ diverse legal needs. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated and motivated staff.
Patterson Law hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to employment equity and welcome diversity. Applications are encouraged from all interested and qualified individuals.