DEPARTMENT: Legal and Legislative Services
DATE: November 8, 2016
JOB #: P672
A vacancy exists in this department for the position of: SOLICITOR
This is a non-scheduled position reporting directly to the General Manager, Legal and Legislative Services.
Applications will be submitted to the Human Resources Department and will include the following information.
- Home address and telephone number
- Previous Work Experience
- Names of former Supervisors if you have been or are presently employed with the City of Moncton.
POSITION SPECIFICATION: Will be as per description for Solicitor in the Legal and Legislative Services Department.
WORKING CONDITIONS: As outlined in the Policy Manual.
SELECTION PROCESS WILL INCLUDE: A panel interview, skill testing, technical testing and supervisory testing. (if applicable)
SALARY: As per the non-scheduled wage grid.
The City of Moncton is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants must submit their application through the online system at: http://www.moncton.ca/employment. The candidate must demonstrate in the job application that he/she meets the minimum qualifications as outlined in the Position Specification. To obtain more information, please contact Human Resources at (506) 877-7707 or via e-mail: email@example.com
CLOSING DATE: NOON – NOVEMBER 22, 2016
Johanna Klompmaker, B. Comm., MBA
Manager, Employment and Recruitment
cc: All departments and sections
POSITION TITLE: Solicitor
DATE: September 28, 2016
DEPARTMENT & SECTION: Legal Department
LOCATION: City Hall
PREV. SPEC. DATE: January 25, 2012
SPECIFICATIONS BY: Nick Robichaud, GM of Legal & Legislative Services
This position is responsible for representing the City’s legal interests under the direction and supervision of the City Solicitor. The incumbent is required to accomplish such tasks as are required to protect and further the interests of the City, and as such shall take instruction and directions from the City Solicitor. In addition to the directions given by the City Solicitor, the incumbent may be called upon to attend City Council Meetings and meetings of committees as required.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide advice and assistance in the areas of civil litigation and quasi criminal prosecution.
- Provide advice and assistance in the field of Labour Law and Administration Law.
- Provide advice and assistance in real property law, including acquisition and sale of real property and the preparation of purchase and sale agreements when necessary, and interest therein and of the law of Expropriation and Landlord and Tenant.
- Draft and amend Legislation, including Municipal By-Laws in both official languages.
- Prepares, drafts and interprets agreements and contracts entered into by the City of Moncton in both official languages
- Provide advice and assistance in negotiations of contracts and agreements on behalf of the City.
- Research legal matters regarding municipal affairs.
- Prepare, appear and plead cases before administration tribunals, and all levels of Court.
- Appear before various agencies of all levels of Government.
- Appear before City Council and committees thereof.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge Skills and Qualifications:
- Must possess a Bachelor of Law degree and be a member in good standing of the Law Society of New Brunswick. Must have knowledge of Administrative Law.
- Must have a minimum of two (2) to five (5) years in the practice of Law, with demonstrated experience appearing before the Courts and/or administrative tribunals.
- Experience in the field of Municipal Law would also be considered an asset.
- The ability to communicate (oral and written) in both official languages is a requirement (English and French). As per provincial language proficiency standards, fluency is determined to be at the Advanced (3) level.
- Must have good interpersonal skills Must have the ability to absorb, assess and formulate solutions to complex legal problems
- Must have the ability to deal effectively with elected officials and department heads and staff of the City of Moncton.
- Must have high level of tact and persuasion when dealing with persons inside and outside the Corporation.
- Judgment and discretion is necessary as errors can and will result in embarrassment and/or financial cost to the Corporation.
CONDITIONS OF WORK:
The work requires moderate physical effort. High level of mental and visual demands. Must be able to work long hours when need arises.
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS (IF ANY):